Sometimes the best is not good enough - 4

That Bastard! My own father keeping me from finding my mate who was out in the woods, alone, maybe scared, wondering why her mate was not coming to find her. She must have smelled me at the campsite Rumulus said as he was getting stronger and stronger by the minute. The night was coming and I felt him having more and more power over my thoughts, my emotions and finally... my body. He shifted in his own skin and started scratching at the walls, howling at the bars.

His sensitive ears picked up the howling of other wolves, wolves from our pack, he knew them. My dad being one of them. Just as he wanted to howl again another howl pierced through the air. Fainter than the others, farther away, being carried by the wind. A deathly howl, Rumulus' fur spiked up and a shiver ran up his spine violently. The howl was so petrifying that he stood in the cell for a while, realizing this howl came from a wolf in our territory, probably close to his mate, he grew more and more angry, scratching at the walls, howling again and again, wanting to tell his mate to come here, not to be scared. Please! I think of you, every day I thought about you! Every night I longed for you! Please he whined and continued fighting the cell.
The night was long, Rumulus fought hard, just to be interrupted every few hours by the deathly howl of that stray wolf. A howl full of hatred and wrath, a howl raspy and uneven, piercing through the night, making the pack in the town centre move closer together. Rumulus had pushed into the pack link to listen to what was happening outside. The pack had moved together apart from a few young ones being dealt with by warriors who seemed to have enough control or wolves with a better sense of judgement. The howl sounded even worse through their ears, so loud, it must come from a massive wolf. That tiny second in command will never be able to keep that beast away Rumulus said and feared for his mate once more.

He didn't give up, he kept fighting the cage again and again, not once giving up. I have to find her! He chanted over and over, biting at the bars, hurting himself while scratching the cell walls. Never in my life had a full moon night been this long, this agonizing and exhausting.
It felt like years until the sun began to rise and I felt Rumulus mighty power decrease, but he wouldn't have me take over, he fought until two warriors came down, opening my cell. Rumulus pushed the rest of the way open and pushed the men out of his way, pushing past everyone, squeezing through the doorframe, scratching himself, but not caring enough to stop. He bolted out of the house and into the woods, howling and calling his mate. The air was full of smells, mostly from the pack which had spent the night outside, their feelings lingering in the air. Rumulus ran toward the forest, toward the area where he found her camp the last time. Not caring about his own exhaustion he pushed forward faster and faster, sniffing the air here and there until...

Until the stench of blood hit his nose hard. Blood smelling so sweet, so alluring, so perfect. He whimpered as he walked closer to the source, seeing drops of blood here and there. By the smell of it, it was clear it was our mates'. No he hushed as he came to an opening, it wasn't the same one in which we found the camp, but her blood was splashed across a patch of grass. Rumulus lowered his snout into the grass and cautiously sniffed the blood. The same tingling sensation ran through his body making clear it was her blood. A howl escaped his throat as he tried to pick up her scent and he did, it was so dominant here. I will find her he screamed and sprinted through the woods, always following the scent which was lingering in the air.

It took almost all day to follow every path our mate had walked, to check everywhere for the scent or more. Rumulus didn't find more blood which reassured him, the amount of blood on the clearing was not deathly for a werewolf and the smell of blood vanished in the tracks, indicating our mate had healed. Rumulus body was exhausted as he trotted along yet another track of hers, we came to another section of the river flowing through the forest, the stream was deeper here, being able to hold a whole werewolf inside. The scent ended right there at the river, not leaving it on the other side nor anywhere else. Another howl escaped Rumulus, we had lost her again.