The after-match - 11

My eyes were scanning the small village in front of us, Clemens and Robert next to me. I heard a few gasps from younger men around me as they also stood at the edge of the hill looking down. It was dead silent in the valley and a disgusting smell hit my nose, making me gag. It was the smell of burnt flesh I soon understood why. There was a pile of human bodies in the middle of the square in the centre. It looked like an image from some sort of movie, the bodies were stacked over each other, not one moved. The whole pile was steaming, about ten square metres large and probably four or five feet high. "What happened here?" Clemens whispered, his voice hoarse, indicating a lump in his throat. "We heard them scream" Robert shivered, "I had known it would be bad... still" he closed his eyes for a second, turning away. "If you're done staring we can start" a voice from behind us yelled. Most men jerked at the sudden voice, Tae had appeared from the forest, her arms crossed over her chest as she glared at us. "Useless bunch" she mumbled while passing, speaking loud enough for most to hear.

Someone is in a bad mood Erik commented in our team-link I would shut up Erik, SHE HAS DONE THAT Clemens said, filling the link with a huge amount of fear and disgust. I shut my end of the link as I got angry. How could he blame her? She only did her job, took care of the threat. But looking at the pile of bodies I wondered about her. Did she enjoy doing something like this? Did she smile when throwing them onto that pile, treating them like objects instead of living beings? We followed her down the hill and into the village. She walked up to a large building close to the square. The folds were shut and she knocked on the door. Nothing happened for about five seconds, her eyes grew even more annoyed "I can't be bothered with this kindergarten" she said, stepped back and kicked the door. Gasps and whimpered, cries and screams were heard on the inside. "Get out" she commanded, "NOW" she growled as no one came into sight.

Shuffling of feet was heard and soon women and kids started pouring out of the house. "Go over there" she commanded and pointed at an open area behind some houses "those men will take you to the other territory". She didn't order us directly and just expected some of us to act accordingly. A child started screaming, tears running down the girls face as she stared at the pile of bodies. A woman, probably her mother gasped "you monster!" she screamed at Tae "the kids shouldn't be seeing this!" she continued and walked close to Tae who glared at her, standing at the same height "then I suggest you have your child close her eyes" she hissed. "My patience is over for the bunch of you, get out of my sight" she turned around and continued walking, leaving the rest of us to follow or attend the group of women and kids.

What made Tae so angry? She was on edge more than I had ever seen her. Even after being insulted by Tayson she hadn't been this snappy. I hurried to be close to her, maybe I could pick up on something. "Take care of the bodies" she ordered, pointing to the pile "the Alpha is at the bottom". "You didn't have to kill all of them" Robert said, his voice shocked and glum. Tae had turned around quicker than anyone could have predicted. Her hand was at Roberts throat and she had him scrunched down to her eye level "and who are you to know that?" she demanded, her voice sending shivers down my spine. Pure hatred, boiling anger and an icy feeling lashed from her words. "I... I" Robert stammered, trying to breathe, he had touched her hand in an attempt to free himself, but his hands started steaming and he let go. "You know nothing so keep your filthy mouth shut" she pushed him back, he fell and landed on his bum, staring at Tae. He quickly got his gloves from his pocket and slit them on.

"Tae" my father hurried to her, worry all over his face "you better not disrespect me again" she hissed and looked at him. Her eyes flashing bright red. Dad stopped dad in his tracks "Ruby" he whispered, earning a growl from Tae "I said" "Please" my dad interrupted her "let the second in command answer me" he pleaded. What was going on? Tae kept glaring at him, a low rumble coming from her chest as her eyes swirled with red and honey until settling for her usual eye colour. "Half of you follows me to the pack house, the rest of the men is held there. They need to be taken care of, deciding whether they are a threat to you or not. Threats can as well stay here for the warrior troop to sort out, but those who do not endanger your pack I suggest you take away from this place" she had turned and walked towards the large pack house at the other end of the valley.

Dad was quick to split the group and follow Tae. Marvin, as soon as Tae is done instructing you need to get her away from here! Get her back to the pack house, maybe walk with her there dad mind-linked me. She'll rip my throat out dad, didn't you see her stare? I responded, remembering her death glare. If she had no fear or respect for dad, she would never accept me luring her away. Oh I did and I saw her wolf pushing through, it can't be! We need to get her away so she can regain full control! His voice was urgent in my head. I think it's better when you... NO, you must son, she'll need you. Dad interrupted me and shut the mind-link, not allowing me to feel or hear anything else that was going on in his head. Why me? Why would she need me?

Tae quickly explained how many men were kept where. My eyes started to itch and burn from the stinging air and I saw others blink harshly as well. Tae seemed to not feel the Wolfs Bain in the air as she stared at my dad. "Alright, is there anything else we should know?" he asked "no". "Alright, would you go back to the pack house then?" he asked, she crossed her arms again, indicating she did not appreciate to be asked to do anything. "We don't know when the star warrior troop is going to arrive and I assumed they would only listen to their commander" he continued, playing a dangerous game of giving her valid reasons.

His voice was smooth and I was slightly impressed by my dads' sweet talk skills. Tae gave him another glance before nodding and turning around. She left in the direction of the cars, dad gave me a meaningful look and I hurried after her "Second in command" I called, not daring to address her after what happened with dad. She didn't halter nor answered. "Second in command" I tried again, assuming she had not heard me the first time "I am not deaf" she retorted, venom in her voice. "I think we need to walk back" I said "and why is that?" she had turned and an eyebrow rose to indicate her being sceptic. "Because... coz" I stammered, trying to find a valid reason like dad. Shit! I should have definitely thought about this. Her eyes kept scanning me and I knew she wouldn't be patient with me forever. My mind tried to think of something, anything. I felt my heartbeat speed up, hot sweat and cold shivers ran over my body, her unforgiving eyes still on me.

"The patrol" I then blurted out "the patrol has told me about movement in the forest, they were scared and keep close to the pack. I am unsure... maybe it is the troop already or a stray wolf or even someone from this pack, I meant to find out and was wondering if you would... accompany me" my voice was a little shaky and I hoped she would not notice. Something like that would not go past her on any normal day, but her anger might be a distraction. She didn't answer, her eyes still glaring into mine, not an alluring stare but a promise to kill without notice. "Fine" she then said and changed to walk into the direction of the forest. Her steps were louder than usual, her feet stomping onto the ground as if trying to punish someone laying there. She marched forward with a purpose and I hurried to push my longer legs to follow her. Where does that energy come from? I wondered.