This is only the start - 10

Tae POV

- Midnight - 

I was crouched on a large branch of one of the tallest trees near the village but still hidden in the forest.
Everything was prepared and all I had to do now was wait. My eyes were good, but I used binoculars to aid, tracking every step of the Alpha to not miss my cue. Even though I was on high alert, all my muscles tense and ready to jump into action, I was calm. Battle and war were not new to me and I had planned this whole process carefully, knowing my plan to be faultless. It gave me peace of mind to have things under control, to BE in control. Thinking about that made my mind slip to Marvin, the soon-to-be Alpha.

I had known from the start, the very second I had come onto this land I had felt it. Ruby had been clawing on my inside, demanding to be let out and meet him, but I was stronger. Up until yesterday when this form started to slip also. I couldn't help but look at him, at his mesmerizing green eyes, nothing like his father's brown ones. His dark hair and that stubble of his had my inside turn every time I saw him. He was buff, broad shoulders and large arms showing off hours of hard work though his overall fitness could still be improved. He was tall, taller than most men, hovering over me when standing close. He was just the right size, making it possible for me to lay my head under his chin if I wanted to. But I don't! I don't want to! I don't want to be close or intimate or touch him! I had tried telling myself that for so many times, but they were all lies.

Feeling his eyes on me never failed to give me a warm feeling and I had always wondered if his skin would be warm or hot to the touch. Wondered what it would feel like to have those arms of his hold me and now I knew. The images were vivid in my head and so was the feeling. I remembered how weird it had been, how my body had been moving without me being in control. I had not meant to call after him and I had definitely not meant to be so close, but his smell was so alluring. It drew me in like light a moth and he didn't even know. Being outside and keeping my distance was making it easier, but inside, with his scent hovering in my room...

I shuddered remembering the heavy scent of pine wood, mixed with other spices and finished off with the sweetest touch I had ever smelled in my life. I had not considered him to be initiating anything and had not been prepared. I didn't think I could have prepared for any of that. I couldn't have prepared for the feeling when his breath hit me, the hot waves of pleasure running up and down my body while the need to be closed almost strangled me. Ruby was always howling somewhere in the back of my mind, being angry as always. I couldn't have prepared for the pure bliss when he held me, the feeling of safety and peace. I hadn't known the feeling of safety after being taken, was always alert, ready to fight, expecting to be fought, but that... that feeling was something different. I would bet I would be able to sleep in that embrace, would finally be able to get one night without the nightmares hunting me, but I knew I would never allow that.

Not only was it highly unprofessional und inappropriate, but it would mean sharing my knowledge that we were mates. I had to avoid that at all costs, I couldn't have him knowing, sharing this information and wanting to live up to that image of mates. I was no mate-material and I knew that. Telling the first in command I didn't want a mate was only half the truth. I couldn't have one, I didn't deserve it and anyone would be better off not finding me. Ruby would make sure to ruin everyone's life if I ever were to stay in one place for longer, let alone be Luna. And I was perfectly contempt with my job!

I was going to be first in command one day, improving my troops farther and farther, protecting the wolves as good as I could. I had found where I belonged! I did not belong at the side of some outgrown pup, soothing a male down to smile and knit or bake. I belonged at the front line, fighting for what was right just like I was doing now.
The Alpha stepped outside, his most trusted men collecting in front of him while another group of men had been ushered to the centre. I couldn't make out his voice, but I didn't have to. He was pointing at the container of Wolfs Bain to his right while talking, making the men cheer.
He rose a fist into the sky, making them scream loader and I pressed a small button, reaching for my bow to follow with the next steps while the cheering turned into screams of horror and pain, chasing away any thought of Marvin.