Chapter 23

"So how's Chris?" Jermaine asked as he watched drake refill his wine glad before he reached to take a sip, whilst he thought of a response to the question. Jermaine just chuckled knowing his friends way of answering things with actions. "A rough patch?"

Drake shook his head. "We're not together anymore," he said simply before sitting back in his chair. "We-, well I called it off a few days ago actually so barely anyone knows," he added.

"Why? What happened? You were both so happy together, what made you make this decision?" Jermaine asked wanting to understand why the couple that looked so perfect from the outside had decided to call of their wedding and call quits on their relationship.

"It's a long story. If I made it short I'd look like a dick, which not gonna lie I kind of am but it is what it is right," he said with a shrug.

"Who did you sleep with?" Jermaine asked knowing that was the only explanation and drake chuckled.

"Onika. I slept with Onika." He said with a sigh just as the waiter brought their food.

Jermaine gave him a slightly confused look as he pondered on the name but finally, it clicked and he gasped. "Nicki?! Nicki Maraj?! When did you two find each other again?" He asked.

"This is what I mean when I say it's a long story." He sat up slightly. "We moved back to Dallas, and I bumped into her on my first day on job. She worked for the company that I was taking over and it was like a massive surprise seeing her after all those years you know," he said and paused for a moment as he started on his steak. "So I invited her to dinner with Chris and I, thought it would be a double date but she turns out she was single so she brought her daughter instead-"

"She has a daughter now?" Jermaine questioned, surprised by all he was being told.

"It gets better. She brought her daughter along, beautiful little girl," he said with a small smile. "And from there we spent time together, catching up on old times. Fun fact: the child is mine," he said with a shrug and Jermaine almost spat out his food. Drake just chuckled. "I'll get to that later, but as you can see, it didn't take much for feelings to resurface, especially since we never really got closure and yeah it lead me to where I am now,"

"Wait so you're a dad now?" He asked and drake nodded.

"Have been for the last five, almost six years, just didn't know it,"

"So she got pregnant before you left for college. And then cut you off?" He said trying to make sense of the situation.

"Correct. Her reasoning being that she didn't want me to dropout to take care of her and the baby so she just kept it away from me completely,"

"That's fair play to be honest." He said before sighing. "But this is crazy, so you with Nicki now?"

"Not officially." He paused and took a sip of his wine. "Like I officially ended it with Chris yesterday, so I kinda wanna just get my head on straight and take things slow with Nicki if you know what I mean?" Jermaine nodded. "I don't wanna rush into it because of what we were. I wanna build from the ground up with her and make sure that nothing and no one can come in between us,"

"And I respect that. I guess when the heart wants what it wants, you can't stop it from going for it," he said and drake agreed. "Now let me see your daughter..."

-

"Have you been behaving for your mommy?" He asked as her and he received a nod in return.

He was back at his hotel after dinner and a few drinks with Jermaine and had decided to call Nicki only to find Darcie was still awake.

"That's my girl. Well it's getting late princess, are you gonna go to bed now?" He asked and watched her on the screen as she thought for a second before nodding, causing him to chuckle. "Alright princess, goodnight." He blew her a kiss through the screen and she did the same before returning the phone to her mother.

"Let me just tuck her in and then I'll be all yours," Nicki said and he just agreed, allowing her to make sure Darcie was comfortable and in bed before she gave her a good night kiss and left her to fall asleep.

"It's not like her to be up this late," he said and Nicki agreed.

"I guess its because we took her and blue to the cinema earlier and then we went for ice cream afterwards so the sugar was probably kicking in," she replied with a chuckled and he joined her.

"Yeah well at least she'll be falling asleep soon. How have you been?" He asked as he placed the phone down where she could still see him and began working on getting dressed for bed.

"I've been good, nothing out of the ordinary. How about you?" She asked as she enjoyed the view of him taking off his shirt.

"Same I guess," he just took a moment to admire her bare face and naturally wavy hair. "But enough about me, there was something I wanted to talk to you about,"

"Really, what's that?" She asked, curious where the conversation was going.

"So I get back Monday evening and I was wondering if I could take you out for dinner Tuesday evening. I know I'm meant to have Darcie and I'm sure my mother would be happy to watch her for us, so don't worry about that, but I just feel like we need a chance to talk," he said softly, never drawing his attention away from the screen.

"Of course. What's my dress code? Am I allowed to know where we're going?" She asked curious as to where the night would take them.

"Just dress up real nice and fancy for me," he said in a deep sultry tone and she bit her lip. "And of course you can't know, that's ruin it." He have a chuckle as she rolled her eyes.

"Urgh fine. Well are you gonna come back to mine when you get back?" She asked.

"That's another thing I wanted to talk to you about. I think for the purpose of us and for the best of our relationship, I'm gonna move to my condo in downtown Dallas for now and just move all my things there so I'm not invading or overstaying my welcome, and then eventually, we can look for a nice big house together and move in with our kids," he said softly and Nicki's heart fluttered. "How does that sound?" he asked.

She was glad to see that he did have intentions of pursuing their relationship and doing it the right way.

"That sounds good," she said softly with a smile and he returned it.

"You got much on tomorrow?" He asked, holding conversation for a little while longer being he wasn't quite ready to hang up on her yet.

"No that I know of," she said as she fell back into the pillows. "Feel like its gonna be a lazy day with Darcie. Maybe we'll go and see my parents and do some grocery shopping just to pass time, but other than that its looking like pyjamas and tv all day,"

He laughed. "Guess I'm gonna have to get used to your girly ways,"

"Hey! I'm sure you'll love lazy days too, once you get used to them you'll be the one requesting them," she argued and he laughed.

"If you say so." He watched as she let out a yawn. "I'm gonna let you go to sleep baby girl. Take care of yourself for me okay?" He asked and nodded. "I love you,"

"I love you too," And at that they said their final goodbyes and hung up.

Drake just smiled to himself. It was only the start of a new beginning for them but he saw a bright future ahead. He was glad they'd found their way back and now they just had to build and continue onward and upward...

———————

This was mostly to just bridge the gap between the last chapter and the next chapter but another update will be on its way soon.

Much Appreciated

_PaintedPyramids X