Chapter 20

Drake stood in front of the mirror securing his tie in preparation for another Monday at work. Christina was downstairs preparing his coffee, but a part of him wished she wasn't. She'd been back for a week now and things hadn't quite been the same, but even so he didn't allow it to show because he wa far from ready to deal with the argument that would follow. Nicki had continued to distance herself from him and it was tugging on his heart strings but the ball was definitely in his court.

"You okay babe?" She asked as she stood watching him from the doorframe. "You look distressed, what's up?"

He made eye contact with her through the mirror and gave her a reassuring smile. "Yeah I'm good." He turned to face her and after picking up his jacket walked over to her. He wrapped an arm around her small frame and placed a gentle kiss on her temple. "You finalised everything with the planner?" He asked and she nodded.

"Just need to do all the final payments and then our weddings on the road," she said with a smile that he mirrored. "You said you were going to do that tonight yeah?"

"Yeah I'll pass by and see her tonight and get that all sorted on my way back from work, but for now I've got to leave or else I'm gonna be late,"

"Alright babe. Oh and last thing is darcie still coming over tonight?" She asked being that he would be away for most of the evening.

"No, her mother will pick her up today, I'll take her to her dance class on Wednesday instead. Right I gotta go," he said before giving her a peck on the lips and making his way down the stairs and out of the house...

-

"Come in," Nicki answered to the gentle knock on her office door. "Hey," she said as he walked in and closed the door. He place the folder of documents on her desk before finally responding.

"Hey, how are you?" He asked with a small smile.

"I'm good, but I think I should be asking you, you seem drained," she commented upon pickin up that his mood was slightly off.

"I'm good, don't worry about me," he gave with a chuckle that she didn't quite buy. "I've authorised those for you, another amazing deal there."

"Thank you," she said as she watched him slowly head back in the direction of the door.

"Oh, are you still okay to pick up darcie tonight?" He asked hoping he wasn't intruding on any of her plans, being that it was a last minute ask.

"Yeah it's not an issue, we're gonna go out with my parents for dinner," she said with a smile that he returned.

"Good. Well I'll see you later then." And at that he was out of her office.

Their encounter was strange and she didn't quite understand why. He had abided by her rules and allowed their encounters to be strictly platonic, but this one was off. It was as if his mind was somewhere else, and she wanted to know where...

Drake sat in his car an dialled the one number that could help him in this situation. Luckily she picked up on the second ring.

"Hi hun, how are you," she asked and a small smile makes its way to his face.

"Hi mom, I'm good. How are you?" He asked and she told him she was well before asking his reason for calling since it was out of his usual routine. "I'm about to meet with the planner and discuss everything over with her... Am I making a mistake?" He asked.

"Aubrey, I told you already that you're the only one that can make this decision. Taking influences from other people will lead to you making the wrong the decision. How do you feel,"