Chapter 8

Drake was trying to focus on what he was typing on his computer but he couldn't. Now his days at work were constantly filled with worrying about how Darcie was doing in school, worrying about how Nicki didn't feel comfortable with telling him anything, and worrying about how Darcie's presence in his life would affect those around him.

Now he didn't care too much about how people felt about her. At the end of the day, she was his daughter, his creation and once he realized that, he instantly loved her more than words could express. With Darcie, he was certain that he had experienced love at first sight. If only I could get her mother to open up to me and tell me what I already know.

Drake knew not to push her. Pushing her to talk would only make her even less willing to share her 'secret.' If he didn't know anything else, he knew that Nicki was stubborn and she would tell him in her own time. But I have to tell her that I know. Drake's main focus was them becoming a family; him, Darcie, Nicki and hopefully he could get his girlfriend on board with the situation.

Drake just so happened to look up from his blank computer screen and saw Nicki walking past his office with a coworker. "Nicki, can I speak with you for a sec?" He said loud enough for her to hear.

Seconds later, Nicki appeared at his door with a sad smile on her face. To anyone else, it looked normal but upon taking in her whole face, her smile didn't quite reach her eyes. "Was something wrong with the file I sent you?" Nicki asked and he shook his head before telling her to come in and have a seat.

Nicki closed the door behind herself and sat in front of his desk with her hands on her lap. Drake stood up and walked towards the window with a deep sigh before turning to face her.

"Nicki, you know since I've been here, we've been trying to get our friendship back on track right?" he asked and she nodded. "Well then you must also know that you can tell me anything, anything at all right?"

"I know this Aubrey, is this some kind of interrogation?" She asked, wanting him to get straight to his point. One thing she hated was talking in circles and Drake suddenly remembered that.

"Why won't you just tell me Onika?" He asked her and she frowned before her eyes widened a little. "This is hardly the place to discuss this, I know that but why won't you just say the words? What have I ever done to make you feel like you can't tell me that I have a daughter Onika?"

"How'd you know?"

"I tried to hold it in for your sake, I tried to hold it in for Darcie's sake but I can't do the things I want to do for her because you won't tell me. You won't let me."

"How do you know?" Nicki repeated the question after seeing that he had completely ignored her the first time.

"She's a spitting image of me nic, it's quite hard to deny it because we're basically twins." She refused to make eye contact with him, but that didn't stop him from continuing. "I know it's probably more difficult than it sounds, but you could've just told me. You know me well enough to know I wouldn't abandon her,"

"That wasn't even it drake," She said her voice beginning to crack.

"Then why didn't you tell me. I've missed some key moments in her life because you didn't tell me she was my daughter," He said running his hand over his fade and pacing the room slightly.

Nicki just continued to look down at her lap to avoid him seeing the tears that were now present on her face. "Because you were happy." She paused for a moment. "You were finally accomplishing your dreams and the last thing you needed to get in the way was a child." She finally looked up at him. "We were both careless in our last few weeks together and it obviously lead to something we both weren't ready for, but I refused to let both of us suffer for our careless decisions." She wiped away her tears before continuing. "Don't get me wrong, Darcie's the best thing that happened to me, but at the time it wasn't convenient. I did have to let go of the aspirations I did have in order to look after her, so I couldn't make that two of us."