Troublemaker

I stared at him in a moment of silence. Did he really just say he wanted me to meet his son?

"You want me to meet...", I stuttered, "Your son?"

He nodded.

"Sure, why not?"

"Well, there are many reasons...", I started.

"Name me one."

I hesitated.

"If he doesn't like me...", I mumbled.

"Denied", he interrupted me, "He's my son, my genes... He'll love you. Give me another reason!"

I stared at him confused.

"What if I don't like him...", I suggested.

"Same here: he's my son, my genes, you'll love him! Another one!"

"Robert...", I insisted tired of his little game.

"Give me another one", he repeated as we were driving along the highway.

I sighed.

"Ehm...", I contemplated but the ringtone of his phone interrupted me.

He looked at the number and damned.

"Who's that?", I asked curiously.

"Ex wife number one", he mumbled and rolled his eyes.

He then coughed slightly before he answered the phone.

"What?!", he asked annoyed.

I've never seen him like that!

He listened closely.

Suddenly the expression in his beautiful eyes changed.

"NO, DEBORAH!", he shouted at his phone, "NO, LISTEN TO ME! I HAVE PLANS FOR TODAY..."

He seemed to be indignant.

"I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS!", he continued, "That's the great thing about divorce. You're my ex wife, I don't have to obey your orders anymore!"

Seeing him so upset scared me a little.

"Go to hell, Deborah", he mumbled and hung up the phone.

"Trouble?", I asked carefully trying to calm him down.

He sighed.

"I'm so sorry, honey", he apologized, "I didn't want you to see me like that..."

"That's ok, Robert", I countered and grabbed his hand softly stroking the back of his hand as I caught a glimpse of a smile on his lips, "I assume our plans have changed..."

"I'm sorry", he mumbled again.

"Don't worry", I whispered reassuring, "Whatever you had planned for us, we'll make good again. I promise!"

Suddenly he leaned over and kissed me.

"What have I done to deserve you?", he asked jokingly and made me blush once more.

"But what was your plan anyway?", I wanted to know.

He smiled from one ear to another and I could see the little wrinkles around his eyes that made him look even more attractive than he already was. He probably had the most gorgeous smile I've ever seen which made me fall in love with him over and over again.

"We had the best place in a fancy restaurant I've been to ages ago", he explained smirkingly, "I wanted this to be a romantic evening..."

I smiled happily.

"So, what are we going to do instead?"

He hesitated.

"Deborah has some problems with her current husband", he said annoyed, "That's why she's on her way to my house with... Indio."

He stared at me. He was insane because he didn't know what I was thinking. And I loved to see this expression in his eyes.

"Ok", I agreed, "I'll meet him."

He seemed to be surprised.

"Really?"

I nodded.

"Sure", I answered, "As you already said: he's your son, your genes, we'll like each other."

So I was going to meet his son. That was good, that was good... Wasn't it?

"You should try to sleep until we're back home", he suggested, "I'll wake you up when we're there."

"Ok", I whispered and gently kissed his cheek.

Then I leaned back, closed my eyes and tried to relax for a while.