Chapter 6

Thank you all for your support. Hope you enjoy the chapter.

(Reed)

The phone on my desk rang shrilly, shattering the silence and causing me to lose my train of thought. Taking my eyes off the computer screen, I reached across the cluttered desk and snatched up the receiver. I said a terse hello and waited for whoever was on the other end of the line to start talking.

"Am I catching you at a bad time, man?" Carter, my old friend from high school, asked me.

"No." I sat back and rubbed my tired eyes. "What's up?"

"Nothing much," he answered. "Just keeping busy with work and family."

"Speaking of family," I muttered. "How's Faith doing?"

"Considering she just entered her eighth month of pregnancy, she's doing fine," Carter said. "She had a checkup the other day. The doctor said everything looked good. Faith and the baby are healthy."

"I'm glad." I leaned my head back and stared up at the ceiling. "And Jack and your father?"

"They're doing well," he said. "I trust you and Winifred are all right."

"Of course." I thought of my little assistant and grinned. "Winnie's as feisty as ever."

"She'd have to be to put up with you," Carter declared.

"That's true." I leaned forward and propped my elbows on the desktop. "I've been thinking about heading up your way soon."

"Funny you should say that, because me and the family have been thinking about heading in your direction." I heard him clear his throat. "Faith wants to get away for a few days. Are you busy this weekend?"

"Nope," I told him.

"How about Faith, Jack, and I fly down Friday evening and spend the weekend with you?" Carter suggested.

"I'd like that," I said. "Bring your father along. I have more than enough room for everybody."

"I'll ask him," he promised.

"Don't forget to let me or Winnie know what time you're arriving," I said. "One of us will pick you up at the airport."

"I'll get back to you on that," Carter muttered. "Well, I guess I better go. I have a meeting in five minutes. Talk to you soon."

"Take care and give Faith a kiss for me." We said goodbye and I hung up the phone. Returning my attention to the screen, I tried once more to concentrate on the work before me.

I stepped around a group of people talking and made my way toward the bar. It was barely after seven and all ready the place was crowded. If I hadn't needed a drink so badly I would have turned around and walked back out. I slid onto a bar stool and signaled for the bartender.

"What'll it be?" he asked me.

"Anything as long as it's strong," I replied.

"Bad day?" he inquired as he grabbed a glass and filled it with an amber liquid.

"No, just a really long one." He set the glass down in front of me. "Thanks."

"No problem." He moved farther down the bar.