Chapter 15 - Curiousity Killed The Cat

Like I said, it all happened too quickly. The smoke, everyone falling asleep. I was one of the first to wake up, rubbing my eyes groggily - everyone who woke up before me must've left. My heart started to beat faster - what if the Kages were in trouble?

I heard a grumble from beside me. I looked down from my now-standing stance, and saw Gaara stirring. I smiled, and kneeled down beside him.

His eyes slowly opened, and rubbed them before looking at me surprised.

"What happened?"

"Something to do with the Kages..."

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I grinned, and nodded. "I'm good. You?"

He nodded slowly, sitting up then standing. He hugged me tight. It sent a small shiver down my spine as his arms wrapped around my waist.

"I wonder when Temari and Kankuro will wake up..."

"Akki!"

I whisked around and saw a pink-haired girl I slightly recognised. I didn't really remember her name though.

She ran over, "What's going on?"

"Something to do with the Kages. Is Sasuke with you?" I said.

I felt Gaara's fingers interlock with my own. I smiled a little as I spoke to Sakura.

"I don't know. Naruto's asleep," she sighed, "I'm guessing Kakashi-sensei went to help with whatever's happening, but we better go check."

"Sasuke might be in trouble," I nodded, "...but Gaara and I should stay here with Kankuro and Temari. We're not from here, so we'd only get lost."

She nodded and ran out of the arena.

-Third Person-

A few people rose occasionally, but other than that, the arena was deadly silent. Gaara and Akki didn't speak much. They clutched hands desperately.

"Gaara, what the hell is going on?"

"I'm not sure, but it seems bad."

Akki sighed.

They waited. And they waited.

***

After an hour or so of sitting around, Temari and Kankuro woke up. They all headed back to the hotel they'd been assigned - Akki was still devastated about their little cottage.

Once they returned, Gaara waited until Temari and Kankuro were definitely clear, then he sneaked into Akki's room. She wasn't in sight.

Soon, Gaara heard the familiar sound of the shower running. He sighed in relief, knowing she was here somewhere. Gaara decided to lay down on Akki's bed for a bit.

He stared up at the ceiling, bored.

Gaara sat up abruptly, and used this as a chance to wander about Akki's room a bit - she'd settled into the average size hotel room rather quickly, after all.

Finding an aqua blue notebook laying on the side, Gaara decided to have a flick through.

He almost gasped as he saw pages and pages full of sketches and words, the spine cracked with the use it'd been through.

Since Gaara was a hidden curious type, he knew he had to have a read. Turning quickly to make sure that Akki wouldn't pop out of the bathroom and slaughter him, he started reading from the first page.

Dear whomever shall read this,

I think I've falled in love.

Gaara's heart dropped. She can't have...

I mean, I've never felt love. But when I think of him, his sweet touch... I can't help but feel those oh-so-famous butterflies fluttering and disturbing my stomach. He's just so special. He's my friend, my lover, my enemy... All at the same time.

I say enemy, but it's the fact that I love him that much that makes me feel like that. I hate the way he makes my stomach churn, he makes my heart beat so fast I can hear it.

And I bet if he read this, he wouldn't have a clue.

Gaara sighed. It was someone in the Leaf.

That Uchiha boy?

The clumsy orange boy?

The youthful one?

Kankuro?

As Gaara thought of his brother, his own stomach churned. His eyes widened... It couldn't be.

As the shower stopped, Gaara shoved the notebook back into its place. He didn't remember where it came from, but he tried his best to make it look unread.

A few minutes later, Akki rose from the bathroom. She gasped a bit as she saw Gaara sat on her bed, legs crossed, looking suspicious.

"G-Gaara! When did you get here?"

"Um... Just now, actually," Gaara replied, and although it wasn't a complete lie, he gulped down his guilt.

"Oh, great!" Akki said, giggling a bit. "Uh... Do you need anything?"

"I just came to spend time with you, Akki."

"Gaara, I..."

"You don't have to say anything!" Gaara rushed, "Let's just talk, or something..."

And they did. Gaara and Akki sat until the moon shone bright through the hotel's open curtains, when they both fell asleep next to one another. They spoke about nothing, and everything. They grounded a few common interests, although they hadn't spoken their interests in each other.

But that may come sooner than they expect.

***

A/N: Finally, it's here! I'm sorry it's so short, guys. I just wanted to get an update up because I've been so lazy with publishing for the last few months! Thank you so, so much to all of the people who left inspiring and sweet comments about how much you like this story and need an update! You are what keeps me writing! Now, off I go to write the next chapter!