Chapter 5 - The One I Love

Here's my 5th chapter of Demon Lovers.

***

Chapter 5 ~ The One I Love

I sighed, staring up at the pretty, blue and cloudless skies of Konoha. Gaara was training - as usual - Temari was fangirling - as usual - and Kankuro was probably making out with some random girls - as usual.

I didn't like training. I didn't want to get ahead of myself, so the only time I trained was at night, alone.

Gaara sometimes questioned why I left the cottage so late, but I just tried to convince him that I was doing what was best for me. He always gave in.

"Gaara..." The beautiful word rolled off my tongue as a single cloud rolled over the trees, shading me from the hot sun.

I stood up, unamused from the lack of sunlight. It got colder in the shade, so I decided to go for a walk around town.

***

As I passed the ramen bar, my stomach gurgled. I didn't even think about food until that moment.

I walked in, to hear loud noises and crashing. I sighed.

Naruto, again.

"Naruto, Naruto! Eat your ramen SLOWLY!" Kakashi yelled at him, hitting him on the head with a fist.

Naruto whined as a red bump immediately raised on his head.

"Oww, Sensei, why do I always get beaten? You're never mean to Sasuke or Sakura!"

"I don't hit them because they behave, Naruto. They do what they're asked!" Kakashi explained.

I sat on the stool next to Kakashi, and quietly asked Teuchi-san for some curried ramen.

Naruto, yet again, was being really loud and annoying. I was about to snap at him when Teuchi-san placed my bowl in front of me.

"Thank you," I mumbled.

With about ten minutes time, I had finished my one bowl, and Naruto had finished about three. I sighed. He was never going to actually taste the food like that.

Soon, Naruto and Kakashi left, leaving me in peace. I sat on the stool blankly staring into space.

"Thinking about Gaara?" Ayame-chan asked.

My head snapped up, and I blushed. "No."

"You like him, don't you?"

"Of course I like him, he's my best friend."

"No, no!" Ayame-chan giggled, "You love him."

"...what? I do?"

"You're always thinking about him, right?" I nodded.

"And you get embarassed when he's close to you?" Again, I nodded.

"You want to stay with him forever?" I didn't hesitate. My head was nodding with eagerness.

"Ah-ha-ha-ha!" Ayame-chan's fit of laughter surprised me. "Young love, huh, Father?"

"You were like that in your younger days, Ayame. What was that boy's name? Arata-kun?"

"Hush, hush! Arata-kun moved to Kusagakure long ago, that's forgotten!" Ayame-chan grinned.

My necklace shook against my chest. "Ah, I have to go. Goodbye, Teuchi-san, Ayame-chan!"

I ran back to the cottage, and sped through the door. Gaara was waiting for me in the kitchen.

"You called for me, Gaara?" I said.

He turned around and gave me a massive grin. I smiled back, not knowing his source of happiness.

"Guess what happened." He said.

"What happened?" I asked, "You did really good at training?"

"I've been highly approved of by the Hokage for the Chuunin exams! You, too!" Gaara said, running over to hug me and spin me around.

"What? Really? Oh my gosh!" I clutched my arms around Gaara's neck, laughing and smiling.

"How about Temari and Kankuro?"

"They're just after us. There's a top male and female for each village. So, there's you and I, and the Leaf's Uchiha, and the female for the Leaf is...Tenten, or something?" Gaara explained. "Then there's Temari and Kankuro, and a Haruno and a Hyuuga."

"We're at the top! Oh!" I cheered.

***

Soon, it would be the day of the Chuunin exams. No one knew what would happen. No one knew what kind of injuries would overcome one another. No one knew who would defeat the others.

***

Thanks for reading!