Chapter 20 -

Sakura had finally admitted to pouring coffee over me. The Hokage was sorting her out.

Luckily, all my boils had healed now. I was currently training with Naruto, smiling to myself.

I knew this all had to come to an end soon. Being happy. It just wasn't meant to be - and certainly wasn't supposed to happen to me.

"You okay, Akki-chan?"

I looked up to Naruto and grinned, "Yes. I'm just thinking that this will all end one day."

"What, the world?" Naruto asked, an innocent expression covering his features.

I giggled, "No, being happy."

"Everyone deserves to be happy, believe it! You, Gaara and me, we're all the same! And we all deserve the same as everyone else!"

I stared at Naruto in a state of shock. A boy who had gone through exactly the same thing I had, had this much confidence in himself. He was happy. He made himself happy.

I smiled and told him I'd see him later.

I knew it was time. And I would go whether Gaara came back or not.

I was going to the Sand Village.

Later

"You're... going back?"

I nodded at Gaara. He looked at me in disbelief.

"Then I'm coming with you."

"You don't have to," I told him, "Of course, I'd like you to but I want it to be your choice."

"I am not staying here alone," he stated firmly.

I nodded, "I understand."

He moved forwards to hug me and I smiled in his arms, before pulling away and saying, "Let's go! Let's pack!"

"That was quick," he commented quietly.

"Yes! I want to turn a new leaf. I want to have a new life!" I said, remembering Naruto's courage and confidence.

Gaara chuckled to himself as he gathered his things as quickly as he could. Since I had more things, it took me longer. We met in the middle and put our baggage into a scroll before heading to see the Hokage.

Gaara knocked for me, and we both walked in. Surprisingly, we didn't see Sakura, and I was glad.

"You two, back so soon?" The Hokage smiled, "Has there been another incident?"

"No, Hokage," we said in unison, giving a little bow.

Gaara spoke up, which shocked me, "We wish to leave the Leaf village."

"Oh! So soon? You are welcome back any time you wish," she told us.

I nodded, "Thank you for allowing us to stay here, and protecting us."

"No, not at all! Thank you for participating in the Chuunin exams, and congratulations on your new titles."

With that, Gaara and I began to head back to the village. On the way, I decided to call Yondaime with my necklace and tell him we would be back!

Only, Yondaime didn't answer. Baki did.

"Hello?" His voice came through the stone.

"Baki? Where's Yondaime-sama?" I asked.

"Oh- ah! The Kazekage, he's... Never mind! What's the matter?" Baki said suspiciously.

I frowned but answered, "It's Gaara and I. We wish to return. Is that alright?"

"Of course! It's your hometown," Baki replied, then he was gone.

"Didn't he sound... off?" I asked Gaara.

"A little," he admitted, "I wonder what Father is doing."

And I hoped, and I would've prayed that he was okay, because I knew how much Gaara needed him.

Little did I know, I was only jinxing it.

We got there and headed straight to the Kazekage's office, only to see Baki sat on the desk with a disappointed look on his face.

"I'm sorry I couldn't have told you two sooner," he said immediately, "I wanted to deliver you the news in person."

I almost groaned but refrained from doing so. I knew something was wrong.

"The Kazekage, he's..."

"Spit it out!" Gaara hissed.

"He's dead."

It happened too quickly. Gaara fell to the floor, but he didn't cry. He screamed for a few seconds, then held me as I dropped myself to his level. I felt tears prick at my eyes, but I had to be strong.

Gaara began blaming himself. An act of nemesism - frustration towards oneself. I tried to comfort him, but he just stayed silent.

"I'm sorry to be asking this of you so quickly. But your father wished you would become Kazekage, Gaara."

Gaara just stared at him with a fierce look of determination, and nodded.

A/N: Weeell guys! I have some news...

This is, in fact, the end of Nemesism! I'm so sorry! I've lost all hope with this story - well, myself. I don't know what I'm writing about anymore because I don't watch Naruto now!

But, I do hope to make a sequel. I'll base it less on facts of the actual show, because I know how much I struggled with the Chuunin exams! Please comment or vote if you want me to continue this story in another book, and I'll try my best!