Chapter 32

You sat by the kitchen table, tongue poking out as your mom moved about the bustling kitchen, busy cooking dinner.

"Can I expect Lexa tonight?" Abby queried, motioning to the place settings.

You shook your head. "I figured I'd give her and Aden some time, after what happened."

Abby nodded, having heard all about the fallout with Dax. "Well, your girlfriend certainly packs a punch, doesn't she?"

"Mom." You groaned. "If you're insinuating that she's dangerous, I-"

"Oh, (Y/n), baby, shut up." Abby clucked, causing you to cock a brow. "I'm just...proud of her, for teaching Dax a lesson. She's really there to back the people she loves. And...that's you now. So, no complaints from me."

You gaped at your mother as if she'd just grown another head. "I...thank you?" You stammered.

Abby rolled her eyes. "I'm not evil. Just...protective."

You smiled, feeling warmth blossom in your chest.

"It's a wonder you two can stay apart for so long." Abby commented, sticking a tray into the oven. "You've been inseparable, lately."

"If I talk to you about this openly...will you promise to just...be cool about it?" You sighed.

Abby took a breath, nodding. "Yes, (Y/n). I won't go all mom-zilla on you. Let's hear it."

"We're inseparable because I love her. We're in love." You stated, eyes on the pen in your hand.

Abby nodded, urging you to continue.

"I don't know how to say this without sounding stupid." You informed her with a shrug. "I know I sound like a lovesick high school idiot, but... I don't know. She's my air. She makes me feel safe, beautiful, loved..." you smiled dreamily.

"You're going to facetime her and bellyache over how much you miss her right now, aren't you?" Abby smirked.

You grinned. "Yes, probably."

"Honey, go after dinner, if you want. I won't be mad." Abby sighed.

"Where is all this coming from?" You cocked your head. "You're having quite the change of heart, mom."

"You want the truth?" Abby smiled to herself, mostly.

"Obviously, mom."

"You know the other night when you two were making dinner together, here?"

"Yeah, what about it?" You nodded.

"Well, I just heard the way she spoke to you. She treats you like a lady, hell, like a princess. And then the way she always asks before she touches you, and the way she takes care of you..." Abby shrugged. "She's perfect, god dammit, and it aggravates me that I was wrong."

You were beaming at her, launching yourself into your mother's arms. "I knew you'd love her!"

"Alright, alright." Abby shucked you off, but not before pressing a kiss to your head. "Now, what have you got there?"

"Oh." You bit your lip. "It's a letter."

"Oh?" Abby smirked. "Email and text not doing it for you?"

"It's not for Lexa." You smiled nervously. "It's...for her parents."

Abby gaped. "Like...the Woods parents? Alexander and Anastasia Woods? Like, business tech tycoon-"

"Yes, them." You rolled your eyes. "Please don't make me more nervous than I already am."

"Nervous? Lexa doesn't know you're doing this." Abby guessed.