chapter 38

Lexa was there, radiant as ever, her brunette locks mixing with Costia's curls as Costia leaned her head on Lexa's shoulder, the two of them flipping through and album together, legs entwined.

Lexa was sprawled on the couch, alright, just with the wrong fucking person.

"You look cute." Costia smirked.

"I had a broken arm." Lexa rolled her eyes, grinning when Costia slapped her thigh.

You must have squeaked out some sort of noise because the two glanced up immediately.

"(Y/n)!" Costia smiled, leaning off of Lexa. "Hi!"

"Uh." You fumbled for words momentarily. You weren't sure what to say, or do. You weren't sure if this was a nightmare or a really awful joke. You suddenly became very aware of the short top you were wearing, which you'd worn only because you were comfortable with your girlfriend. You awkwardly moved to attempt to cover your midriff, hoping your scar wasn't showing. And to Costia, of all people. You wanted to die. "Hi." You greeted lamely, biting your lip.

Lexa's eyes were on you, searching through your very soul, it seemed. She beckoned you forward with her finger and you felt your stupid slave of a body responding before you could even blink.

"Hey baby." Lexa murmured as you approached, standing a few feet taller than Lexa's slumped position on the couch. Lexa wrapped her arms around you, pressing a kiss to your exposed waist, as if it were completely normal. She grinned up at you, lips tickling against your bare skin. "I missed you." She murmured, before giving you a shocking little tug and pulling you down into her lap.

"Hey." You breathed, eyes wide as Lexa stole a kiss from your lips smugly, sitting you comfortably on her lap.

You were tense, and Lexa seemed to realize that, as she pressed a kiss to your shoulder blade. "Cos and I were looking at a rare old photo album. I kind of don't want you to see it...I had buck teeth." Lexa explained with a grin, one hand sneaking up your shirt to soothingly rub your back.

You exhaled softly, realizing that maybe, just maybe, you were overreacting. Everything seemed...normal. Costia wasn't gawking, or scowling. She even had a melodic tone to her laugh.

"She looks cute." Costia smiled, leaning in to show you the picture.

Lexa looked no older than four or five, toothily grinning for the camera as she palmed a football bigger than her face.

"She does." You agreed with a quiet smile, threading a hand through Lexa's hair, trying not to laugh as Lexa made what was almost a purring noise, leaning into your touch.

"Oh, (Y/n), this one is my favorite!" Costia grinned, flipping the laminated pages.

"Not the underwear one." Lexa groaned.

"Oh yeah." Costia smirked. "The underwear one."

You cocked a brow but felt yourself grinning at Lexa's embarrassment.

"Costia, I could very well marry this girl one day. Can you not ruin my chances by-"

The picture was revealed, and Lexa's speech was ruined.

"OH MY GOD." You gasped, reaching for your phone. "Lex, you're so cute, you-"

"(Y/n)?" Lexa stilled. "What are you- NO!"

You giggled and tossed the phone to Costia as she snapped the picture, the two of you triumphantly grinning as Lexa sunk back into her seat with a huff.

"Aww." You smirked, leaning forward to kiss her pout. "Don't be grumpy. I'll still marry you."

Lexa smiled into your kiss, leaning back with a sigh.