Chapter 16

"I hate this."

You laughed as Raven toppled forward, face-first, onto the ice for perhaps the eighth time in the short hour and a half the delinquents had been gliding over the ice.

"You can always sit out if you want, Rae," you offered, easily making your way over to your fallen friend and helping her up.

"And give you the satisfaction of watching me give up? No way."

It had been Bellamy's idea to get the delinquents out together, and Octavia had suggested ice skating, much to Raven's disappointment. When they were younger, the Blakes, as well as you, had taken ice skating lessons every winter, so Raven claimed it was just a chance for you to show off and watch the poor commoner like herself fail.

Monty and Jasper weren't faring much better, stumbling over one another, as well as into others, quite often.

Murphy, however, surprised the entire group, with skills that were far beyond you or the twins, performing elegant spins and leaps and axels, effectively skating circles around his slack-jawed friends.

"I needed a hobby when I was younger," he brushed off with a shrug, "mom loved figure skating, dad hated it. So, naturally, I chose figure skating."

You were nice and toasty, wearing your worn, paint-splatter UCLA sweatshirt, as well as a knitted hat that had been a present from your grandmother the year previous, and a long baby blue scarf you'd made yourself.

"Come on, Rae," you laughed, "it's just like walking, but on ice."

"Thanks, (Y/n/n)," Raven snarked, "that's real helpful."

"Anytime, Rae," you responded with a salute, before skating off to join Bellamy and Octavia, who appeared to be having a race of sorts. Out of the corner of your eye, you saw Murphy having what looked to be an axel-competition with a familiar looking vietnamese boy, and then a blonde blur went speeding into your stomach.

"Incoming!"

A rush of air escaped your lungs as you were barrelled into, but you smiled as you steadied the two of you, smile widening into a grin when Aden looked up sheepishly.

"Sorry, (Y/n)," he grinned, "Anya said I couldn't go faster than she could."

"Is Anya here?" Though you were trying hard to sound casual, Aden noticed the meaning behind your words and shook his head fondly at you.

"Don't worry, Lexa's here too," he assured you, as another boy quickly made his way over to the pair of you, eyes wide with worry. You recognized him as Atom, one of Aden's other friends.

"Aden!" He turned the smaller boy out of your grasp to gently cup his face, as though inspecting for cuts or bruises. "Are you alright?"

"Calm down, pretty boy," the redhead accompanying him deadpanned with a roll of her eyes, "he ran into (Y/n), not a brick wall." She paused to make eye contact with the aforementioned obstacle, as though trying to silently communicate her exasperation with her taller friend, and you winked back at her.

"Ellis, Atom, nice to see you," you greeted, and Ellis waved back at you. Atom, however, was still too busy searching Aden for any obvious injuries.

"Lexa's over by the entrance," Aden called over his shoulder, and you smiled at him once more before skating away towards the archway, passing a still struggling Raven, now accompanied by a smirking Anya, on your way there.

Lexa had yet to step into the rink, and looked entirely too apprehensive.

"The great and mighty commander, scared of a little ice?" You teased as you glided over, and Lexa looked up, emerald gaze snapping to meet your (Y/e/c) ones.