Chapter 22 - The First Confession

Arya's P.O.V.

To say I was worried was an understatement.

It had been a week since I'd seen Pandora and time wasn't making it any easier. The last time I had seen her she was collapsed on the floor so I was a bit on edge.

Without her my days felt so wrong. She had become such an important part of my life that each day she wasn't with me made my heart ache.

It didn't help that everything around me reminded me of her.

How did this happen? I've only been with her for a few months?!

The twins were no help. Whenever I asked them where she was, they would just walk away. Lexie with a pissed off look on her face and Mason always had a guilty one on his. On the days I had time to go straight to their house Ellie would turn me away sadly while glancing towards the kitchen every few seconds.

Something was wrong and I was going to find out what. Today.

As soon as the first period bell rang I snuck out the side of the gym and ran towards the woods before angling back to the parking lot and jumping into my car.

I had to be careful about this. If the twins or campus security saw me they would bring me back, but I needed to go during school if I wanted to avoid everyone.

On my way to Pandora's house I sped for the first time in my life. The sooner I saw her, the sooner the anxiety would go away.

When I pulled up on her driveway, I almost turned right away and went back to school. I knew everyone was trying to keep me away for a reason but I couldn't just walk away from her. I needed to know what was going on.

I steeled my resolve and with a slightly guilty conscience I ran to the side of the house and pulled myself through the kitchen window that Ellie always left open. Not really secure, I know, but with three werewolves and a witch living there they weren't really worried about burglars.

“Hello?” I called.

When no one answered I crept towards the stairs to make my way to Pandora's room. I don't know why I was creeping at all, but I was pretty much breaking and entering at this point and it kinda fit the mood.

As I stepped on the first stair I head a crash below me.

Below?

As far as I knew, they didn't have a basement. I made my way back into the kitchen and realized the pantry door was wide open. I looked inside and realized that there was a hidden door made from the shelves of the far wall.

What the-

Like the considerate and respectful person I am....I went right in.

A few feet in there were stairs going down. Not like those creepy, dark, squeaky stairs in the movies. They were dark mahogany and the stairway was well-lit. As I reached the bottom there was another door. It was quiet but I still moved carefully and reached for the doorknob. It turned smoothly but before I even opened it a few inches it was slammed shut.

The distinct and incredibly familiar scent of pine and cinnamon was left behind.

“Pandora?” I called quietly.

For a few minutes there wasn't an answer.

“W-What are you doing here?” she asked in a whisper.

In any other situation I would have been offended, coming from Pandora it would have hurt, but her voice left no room for those feelings. She sounded so distressed....so scared.