Chapter 13 - The First Fight

Pandora's P.O.V.

So many important things had happened in those few short months that I had chosen to forget. Too many things for my fourteen year old self apparently.......and now we were all caught in a very similar, but much more extreme situation.

Would I make the same choice? Could I? These and many more questions rolled around in my mind and threatened to overcome me, but one thing was sure.

I knew Arya two years ago.......she was my first love, and I abandoned her.....

AROOOOOO!

Howls resounded through the forest that came from the wolves chasing me, thoroughly breaking off my train of thought. Looking back I realized that what Lex had told me about colors was true. Every one of them was a combination of different shades of brown. Nevertheless, I needed to focus on these guys before I could figure out what to do about Arya. As I reached a safe distance from the others I began going through everything my mom had taught me about fighting wolves.

When I began my training the first thing she had me study was the habits of wolf packs in the wild. At first I didn't understand how it would help me face werewolves with human wills. With a smile she told me that no matter how clever or strong a werewolf is, when they attack in a pack their instincts force them to act in the same way as wild wolves.

They surround their prey, each one diving in for a small attack and backing out causing their prey to panic. Once the creature revealed an opening the leader would swoop in with a fatal blow. The best strategy to combat this was very simple: you face them head on without hesitation. Stand your ground and keep defending. To win in a fight where you have smaller numbers with minimal casualties you need to showcase overwhelming strength and force your opponent to realize that the cost is not worth the gain. In a pack where numbers are most effective, the alpha will lose interest and retreat.

In this confrontation I knew that was my best bet. First I needed to find a flat but wooded space for our fight. Facing them in the open would only give them more room to move and use their numbers to their advantage. The trees would force them to come at me individually and one-on-one I was confident I wouldn't lose to them. Not with the power that was still coursing through me. I felt practically invincible.

I could also use the darkness to hide my movements and slowly whittle them down, all while taking advantage of their fear.

I wasn't going to let the events from that day repeat. Until I had no other option, I would do everything in my power to ensure no one died.

Slowly I began to immerse myself in that darkness I had always kept hidden away. It came easier than it ever had before. The moment my consciousness was absorbed into it my body was filled with the same overwhelming power from before. Every inch of me was humming with it and I had never felt so alive.

Haha, these guys don't have a chance.

Before I got too carried away I managed to reel it in and contain it, thoroughly concealing my presence. Once that was done I quickly went through my strategy.

As I finalized my game plan, a nice flat area came into view ahead. Once I reached it I spun around and attacked the closest werewolf, giving him a deep wound on his left flank, dropping him to the ground instantly.

Before the others could react I disappeared into the woods. Dancing out of their view before immediately diving back into the fray, slicing open the largest one's side with my long claws as I ran back to the cover of darkness.

Once I reached a safe distance I circled them slowly, careful to keep out of sight and using my enhanced vision to track their movements.

Thinking back, you could say that I was basically hunting them down one by one.