Chapter 5 - The First Look

Arya's P.O.V.

 As I made my way down the path through the woods towards the pond my mind began to wander back to what happened the day before.

I had tried to avoid thinking about it because I had no way to explain it. Why the wolf had chosen to save my life from the bear.

To be honest when the bear found me I thought that there was absolutely no way I would survive. I had even began to resign myself to it when I fell. But just as the bear was about to finish me off something caught it's attention. I was too weak to turn and see what it was looking at, but it's fear was more than obvious. Slowly something large came into my view, and my staggering breath caught in my throat.

The wolf that I had first described as a beautiful creature had become something dark and terrifying. Though I wasn't it's target, my body began to shake uncontrollably. It's eyes were filled with something I could only describe as rage. It's legs were tense making it's already large and strong muscles more evident. But what was the most frightening were the razor sharp teeth that glistened in it's mouth as it released a ground-shaking growl.

Without hesitation the wolf tore into the bear's neck and didn't let go until it's body went limp. Afterward it rose from the ground and slowly turned towards me. Even though I had encountered the wolf before, for a moment I truly thought it was going to turn on me next. However, when I finally managed to look away from the blood dripping from its chin, I saw something that surprised me. Slowly, the wolf's eyes lost the rage from before, and they were slowly filled with a deep sadness before it lowered it's head. I didn't totally understand how a wild animal could feel such things, but at the same time the situation felt strangely familiar and my fear began to fade away.

With all of the strength I had left, I managed to pull myself up and move towards the wolf. Incredibly stupid I know, especially after what it had just done to the bear, but recently crazy had become my new norm. The wolf moved to leave, but I forced myself to yell for it to stop. And it listened.

Pretty smart wolf.

By the time I made it to the wolf, I was nearly unconscious. Just as I was about to touch it's snout, my legs gave out, but even though I had braced myself to meet the dirt I instead landed on something incredibly soft. Looking down I saw white fur.

The wolf caught me? Why?

Thinking back only reinforced my belief that I might just be going insane. Too many crazy things that made absolutely no sense had been happening to not consider it. But right now, in this moment, I finally had a chance to get some answers to my questions. One of which being who the new girl really was.

I finally could see the end of the path, and ran to it. In front of me was an incredible sight. The pond was surrounded by trees and mountains, made all the more amazing by the sun glistening off of the crystal clear water. I began looking around for Pandora, and caught sight of her sitting at the end of the pond's dock. I was about to call out to her, but stopped myself when I saw what she was doing. She was taking off her jacket.

I can finally see her face!

As she slipped her jacket off of her shoulders everything around me seemed to stand still. Pandora was......in a word.....beautiful. The most beautiful girl I had ever seen in fact. Not that “kind of pretty”where you'd give her a second glance when you passed her in the hallway. She was the kind of gorgeous where you start to think that she musn't be real and can't seem to look anywhere else.

Her thick, luscious, wavy black hair seemed to glisten in the sunlight. Her skin was pale but a creamy color and made me think that she had never actually seen the sun in her lifetime. Even though she was wearing a long sleeve white shirt, it was painfully obvious that she had a full-figure despite her small waist. But what was the most eye-catching about her were her eyes. Their color nearly matched the water whose light they reflected, but was much deeper in comparison. For a while, I just stood there, staring at her while my heart threatened to beat right out of my chest.