"What Am I Going to Do With My Life?

When we got back to Hogwarts from Easter Holiday, there were notices everywhere that said we had interviews with out Head of Houses about Career Advice. I was scheduled to go the third day we were back, right after lunch.

During lunch, I talked to everyone else about their meetings, since they had already had them.

"He tried to crush my dreams when I told him I wanted to be a Quidditch Player!" Goyle recollected his meeting while biting into a banana.

"How?" I laughed, grabbing a grabbing a banana myself.

"He said I need a back up!" He exclaimed. We all chuckled.

"And you said...?"

"Hooker. He didn't find it very funny. You're uncle has no sense of humor. I have detention next Tuesday."

"What about you, Vincent?" I asked after the laughing went down. He sighed.

"Well, I kind of want to be a Healer..." He started.

"A Healer? Vincent! That's so... selfless!"

"Yeah, I know. It's kind of pathetic, but-"

"No, it's fine. But what?"

"But I have to have so many O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s that it's crazy!" He reached into his bag and pulled out a pamphlet, then opened it up and handed it to me. "See?" I looked down at the list; Herbology, Charms, Potions, Defense Against the Dark Arts... the list went on.

"Wow..." I whistled, putting it down. Across the table Draco sneered.

"Well, I don't have to worry about what I'm going to do!" He began. "After all I have the Apothecary!" I rolled my eyes. Draco always brought up the fact that the Malfoy's had owned an Apothecary for generations.

"Gregory..." Our of no where, Sarah Beth was squeezing her way in between Vincent and Gregory. She looked really upset about something, but wasn't crying.

"Huh?" Gregory turned to her.

"She wouldn't even let me choose what I want to do!" Sarah Beth began. "All I want to do is work with Mr. Weasley in the Muggle Department! But she won't let me.

"Well, what does she want you to do?" Vincent asked, leaning forward.

"She wants me to take her place as Chief Undersecretary when I graduate!" She over-dramatically exclaimed, burring her face into Gregoy's chest. He wrapped an arm around her and continued eating with the other. I looked down at my watched; it was five minutes until six. I stood up.

"I probably should be going."

"You can tell me how it goes afterward." Vincent grabbed my hand before I could get away. "Meet me in the library?" He gave it a squeeze.

"Of course." I gave him a squeeze back before getting it back and making my way to my Uncle's office. I knocked on the door.

"Come in." I heard the familiar voice of my uncle say in a bored tone. I opened the door and slowly walked to the chair at the other side of his desk, closing the door behind me. As I sat, I realized that Umbridge was sitting a few feet behind him. I completely ignored her.

"Have you put any thought in about what you want to do after school?" Uncle Severus asked, organizing a stack of papers and putting them back down.

"Actually, no..." I confessed, looking down. It felt like I was disappointing him for some reason.

"Any thoughts what so ever?"

"Well, I like Astronomy... I could be an Astronomer, I guess."

"That's not a real career, Eleanor."

"Really?" He nodded. "Well, shi-"

"Miss Snape!" Umbridge exclaimed in shock, looking over her clipboard.

"Oh, sorry. Well, shoot." I guess I had to watch my language.

"You cold always teach Astronomy, but I don't know when a position will open up here at Hogwarts." Uncle Severus suggested.

"I don't like people." I shuttered. "Especially First Years."

"You like animals. You could be a Pet Healer."

"No." I shook my head. "The sick animals will just make me sad."

"What else do you like?"

"I-I don't know..." I trailed off. What did I like? Besides Astronomy. Dark Magic? Yeah... that would go great with Umbridge sitting right there. I could play the piano decently, but I didn't like people telling me when or what to play. Not even Flitwick. What would I do? "What am I going to do with my life? All I can do is name the stars and play the piano!"

"Eleanor, calm down. You don't have to make a definite decision right now." Uncle Severus calmly stated. "Just try to get the highest scores you can when you take your O.W.L.s and after we will look again and you can try to choose, okay?" I dishearteningly nodded my head yes. "Alright." He nodded his head yes. "You may go. And don't forget about Potions tonight."

"Okay." I get up and made a mad dash to the door, wasting no time getting to the library.

"No running!" Ms. Pince instructed from her desk. I slowed, but kept moving until I found Vincent. He was sitting alone at a table that had several piles of books on it. Four of them were open in front of him as he took notes on a piece of parchment.

"Vincent, what are you doing?"

"Oh, Elle," He pulled out the seat next to him. "How did it go?"

"First of all, Umbridge was there. " I sat down.

"Why?"

"I don't know. I've heard several people say that she was in there during their meetings." I picked up one of the books he was using, 'Polyjuice Potions and You (Or Him)' (A book I had seen on Uncle Severus's book self), opened it up, closed it back, and sat it down again. "Anyway, I t was terrible. I never realized I hadn't thought about what I wanted to do."

"What did you tell him?" He turned a page.

"Just that. Why do you have so many boos?"

"Because, I showed you the list of stuff I have to pass. If you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly the top student in anything. If i want to be a Healer, I'm going to have to work hard to do it and bring up all my grades."

"So you're serious?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know." I opened up a book entitled 'Helpful Healing in Herbology'. Actually, I did know why. Vincent wasn't exactly the type of person I imagined to help people, but I think most of that had to do with the fact that Draco made fun of him whenever he tried, so he didn't try much. He helped people he knew well like Gregory or maybe even sometimes Sarah Beth, but not strangers. But I was his girlfriend, so I guess I had to support him. After all, he would do the same for me. "Are you going to be doing this every day?"

"Probably. When I'm not practicing Quidditch."

"Oh...I'll be back." I got up, grabbed a book about space, and went back. Opened the book, I sighed; I guess I would need to get used to this. It's not like I had anything else to do.