An Accidental Kiss and Unexplained Jealousy

"It's so warm today." I commented a few days later. It was in the middle of the day, and neither I or Vincent had class at the time, s owe decided to take advantage of the nice weather and go outside. We asked Gregory if he wanted to go with us, but he declined, saying he wanted to go find Sarah Beth. Typical.

"I know." Vince leaned against the tree we were sitting under. Sweat was forming on his forehead and I was sure mine was doing the same. I could feel the sun quickly roasting my skin. Before long it would match the sand in the Gryfindor's House Point hour glass. It was hot. I reached for my sleeve to roll it up, but stopped myself. The Mark was safely hidden beneath it. I needed something to distract me from the heat.

"Hey, can I ask you a question"

"Go for it." He replied, taking an apple from his book bag.

"Why did you try to fight Draco the other day?"

"I already told you." He took a crunchy bite of his apple. "I love you." A slight blush formed on his cheeks despite his cool tone. I sat up, putting my knees to my chest. He still thought he loved me. IT was ridiculous. He didn't love me; no one should love me. I certainly wasn't falling in love again... "Elle?" Vincent snapped me back into reality by putting a hand on my shoulder. "You want a bite? You've been starring at my apple for, like, five minutes.

"Oh..." I must have zoned out looking in that direction. "Yeah. Sure." I bit into it when he held it out. It was juicy and cool, a relief compared to the heat. "That's really good.:

"I'd give you one, but I only have this one. Do you want it?' He offered.

"No, it's yours. " I pushed it away, but it was so good... I didn't want to turn it down. "Can we...share it?"

"Yeah, sure.' He smiled and held it out for me to take another bite. We fell into a silence with nothing but crisp chewing sounding between us. I leaned in to take another bite.

Suddenly, I felt something hit my lips as they went around the apple. I opened my eyes to see that I was nose to nose with Vince, his teeth also sunk into the fruit. I pulled my teeth out of it and stumbled back, startled and wide eyed.

"I'm-" I started.

"Sorry," He finished, his cheeks turning the same color as the apple.

"Ha, ha..ha." We both awkwardly laughed, looking in different directions. Had he done that on purpose? It wouldn't have been the first time our lips had touched...

"Ow!" I heard Vincent exclaimed, surprised. I looked over to see a rock wrapped in paper bounce from his forehead and onto the ground. He picked it up and glanced in the direction it had came from.

Sarah Beth was standing a distance away smiling her sickening smile and frantically waving. Vincent shot her a 'what's this' look, and she giggled. Then, she started signaling to him. First, she made motions of un-crumbling a wad of paper, obviously meaning take the paper off the rock. Then, she acted like she was reading, only to afterwards point to me, then make an 'X' with her fingers while shaking her head no. She didn't want me to read the note.

I leaned over Vincent's shoulder as he straightened it out, but he noticed me and pushed my away, angling the paper so I couldn't make any of it out. When he was finished, he looked up.

"What is it?" I asked, the curiosity practically stabbing me. He shook his head no and got up.

"Nothing. Just meed me here after your potions class, okay?" Before I could say anything else he handed me the apple and gathered his bag. He went off in Sarah Beth's direction. When he got to her she smiled that smile again, hugged him, and led him into the castle.

I looked down at the apple. What was that? Surely Sarah Beth wasn't wasn't cheating on Goyle with Vincent... and if she were, how could he? He had just said he loved me! He couldn't love both of us! That cheap floozy!

I thew the apple, and it wasn't until I heard it splash into the lake that I was really aware of my thoughts. Why was I mad?

Was it because he would betray his friend like that? Or was it because I just hated Sarah Beth... or maybe it was jealousy. 'Get real,' I thought to myself, 'Why would I be jealous?'. Then it hit me... What if Vince was slowly nudging his way into my affection? Maybe I was... falling in love... No. I gave up love... Didn't I? I couldn't love him that way.. but maybe... Just maybe...

I reach up and touched were our lips had touched and looked at the place where him and Sarah Beth had diapered.

'Maybe...'