The Silver Doe

The weeks went on with still no visit from my Father. What was once nervousness was replaced by annoyance, because I viewed it as a waste of time. Uncle Severus suggested that maybe he was trying to give me a break to rest, but I could tell by his tone that he didn't believe it, either. And as if enough time weren't being wasted, Uncle Severus set aside our last practice before Christmas Break to teach me how to cast a Patronus.

That night he took me to the edge of the Forbidden Forest instead of the down in the dungeon. Snow lightly fell from the sky and added to what was already on the ground. By the time he lead me where he wanted, I was shivering.

"Must we do this out here?" I asked, hugging myself for warmth.

"It is better if we do. Now, take out your wand." He replied, taking out is own. I pulled out mine as quickly as possible. The faster we got this over with, the sooner I could go back inside and warm up. "Eleanor, have you ever seen a Patronus?"

"Once, I think. A long time ago."  I trailed my foot in the snow, making a line. That statement was only half right. I didn't think; I knew. I had never forgotten the day I saw my first and only Patronus.

..........................................................................

My father and I were starving. I was seven years old, and not taking very kindly to it. I was used to being hungry, but this was much more then hunger. It was the dead of winder, so there was no food to just pick form someone's garden. Actually, we hadn't seen food in two days, going on a third.

"Father, I'm hungry..." I weakly said as I followed him through the woods. He sneered.

"You are no hungrier than I am, so shut up." He ducked under a branch.

"Yes, Father-" I suddenly ran into him because I hadn't noticed him stop. "What?"

"Shh...." He put a finger to my lips, then pointed. I followed his fingers to see the most beautiful thing I had ever laid eyes on; standing maybe a yard away was a shimmering doe. It looked at us with it's ghost-like eyes. We held it's gaze for a few moments. Then, it turned and ran, leaving a trail of light mist behind it.

My father stayed in place. A minute later, the doe ran back, only this time it came closer. My father went towards it.  With every step closer, the doe stepped away.

Suddenly, it turned and broke into a run. My father grabbed my hand and followed after it, dragging me along as he went. It lead us to an overgrown field with grass that went to my waist. My father took a couple steps forward, still holding my hand. Finally, he let go.

"Stay right here, Elanor." He walked up to the doe. When he got beside it, it looked down. My father did the same, the slowly smiled. He looked at the doe one last time and reached out to touch it, but before he could it broke out into a sprint.

Instead of following it like before, he let it go and picked something up off the ground. When he walked back to me he was carrying a large sack.

When we got back into the woods, he opened it up. Inside were two thick jackets; one that fit my father and a smaller one that fit me just right, two warm blankets, three bars of soap, a small bag of galleons, a container of clean water, and enough jars of preserved food to last us two months! After putting the jacket on I looked up at my father with my dirt streaked face.

"The deer saved us, Father."

.............................................................................

"Very well. The first thing you need to do is concentrate on happy thoughts." Uncle Severus got behind me as I closed my eyes and put a hand on each shoulder. "And relax." He added. I tried to relax my body and loosen my muscles, but it didn't work very well. "Think of things that make you happy... Then say Expecto Patronum."

I tried as hard as I could; 

The piano in my old house. 

Kissing Vincent. 

Playing with Orion...

"Expecto Patronum." Nothing happened. I opened my eyes and sighed.

"Try again." Uncle Severus instructed. I closed my eyes again, concentrating even harder. Piano...Vincent...Orion...The stars... The smell of new books... After O.W.L.s when I don't have to take Potions...Eating dinner with Uncle Severus...

"Expecto Patrunum!" This time a few streams of silver fog slithered out of the tip of my wand, but nothing else. I sighed again and lowered my wand in defeat.

"It'll come in time." My Uncle assured, finally taking his hands off my shoulders. "One day you'll be able to do it." yeah,  I thought, I doubt that. Don't be disappointed. There are full grown wizards who can't do it. And you've accomplished more since school started then most do in their life."

"Will you do it?" I asked. We were already out there, so why not? He looked at me for a moment, then slowly nodded his head yes, raising his wand. For a moment or two he stood there with he eyes closed, deep in thought. Then,  he opened them.

"Expecto Patronum." Like my own, the fog came out, but it continued. It flared out until it took form. I gasped; starring back at us was a ghostly silver doe. At that moment I realized that the doe wasn't the one who saved my father and I that one day eight years ago; Uncle Severus had.