Inspiration

As I looked around my house, I felt a pang of danger hit the bottom of my stomach. This was truly my house. The one I always begged my Father to take me to. But now he was suppose be dead, so it was mine. Actually, according to the Ministry, it wasn't mine yet. It wouldn't be mine until I turned seventeen; One more year. But I wasn't there just to visit. I was on a mission.

I pushed open the door, flinching at the sound of squeaky hinges that hadn't been oiled for who knew how long. That's how it was years ago, and that's probably how it would always be.

Inside was so dark that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. The only light I had was the few rays that were snaking in through the cracks between the boards nailed over the windows. But I knew  I was in the sitting room, though, because that's where the fireplace was that I went through. As I walked across the room, I started to feel wooden pieces under my feet. I didn't' have to look to know that it was from my piano. what was once my haven of hope, but was destroyed by my Father. I felt around the floor until I found a piece. I turned it over in my hand; an ivory key. It was smooth and cool in my hand. I stuck it in my pocket and trudged forward.

By the time I got to my Father's room, my eyes had gotten accustomed to he darkness; I could see details in the room. the scorch marks on the walls were still there, along with the trail that lead to where he had died. In the right corner was the bed that him and I always slept in. The sheets were still on and the blankets were rumpled as if they had been slept in recently.

I turned my attention back to the center of the floor. It made me wonder if his wand was still there. I walked to it, looking carefully. I couldn't see it. Had the Ministry taken it when the took his body?

The thought sent a whole new wave of anger through my veins. Did I not have a right to have it? He was my Father! Everything of his should go to me! I sneered and turned around, facing the shelf that stood against the wall across from the bed.

That's where it still had to be. The Ministry wouldn't of thought to look up there for anything. They wouldn't have known what to look for, anyway. But the Ministry wasn't the reason eh had it up there. His reasoning was to keep it away from me. At the time, I was short and couldn't' reach it, but now, thanks to my summer growth spurts, I could easily grab it. All the growing pains were worth it.

I stoop on my tiptoes and got around on the top of the shelf. Ah hah! My hand touched it's smooth sides. A wave of dust erupted from the top of the shelf as I scooted it over to where I could grab it. 

I put the box down on the ground and sat on my knees next to it. Curling my fingers around the lid, I pulled it off. Inside, sitting on tip of a mound of black robes, was my Father's old, cracked Death Eater mask. I slid my fingers across it; even with the crack, it was smooth, like the piano key I had picked up earlier.

I lifted the mask up and put it on my face. It felt...right. Perfect in a way. I smile underneath my mask. It all made sense. Why my father was going all this. A new war; a new generation. I was taking his place in the army, only this time, it wasn't going to be a Snape that messes up.