Chapter 21

We walk back to the basement cell and throw Marconi behind the bars.
He yells at us.
"You'll never get away with this!"
"I think we already have,you've been sentenced to life in imprisonment,be thankful you haven't been executed otherwise I would've done it myself," Jones spits the words angrily at him.
Marconi grits his teeth and sits in the corner as we lock him up.
We move back and make our way outside.I examine the long hallway,white lights glowing from everywhere.Some prison cells are full and some are empty.I wonder how many have been locked here since ages.The thought makes me shudder.
Jones notices me.
"Come on."
He takes my hand in his and leads me out of the room.An officer stands beside the main door as we move out.
"Keep an eye okay?," Jones says to him.
"Yes,sir."

We make our way to the showers.I need to clean myself first so that the cut gets cleaned before stitching.I carry my uniform in my hand,though,I'd really love to be in my night clothes now.
"Take a good long shower,you'll feel relaxed.After that meet me in the lab okay?"
I nod.
"Okay."
He leaves me and I step into the first shower I find,guarded from others.The warm water that falls on me really makes me feel relaxed.The dirt and sweat washes away.I carefully wash the cut.I wince at the sharp pain and press my lips together.I quickly clean myself up and change into my uniform.My hair hangs loose,wet from the shower.

I make my way towards the lab and already find Jones there talking to some officers I don't recognise.His hair is wet and he looks fresh.Maybe he took a shower too.I look for Nathan and find him in a corner.He nods at me and tells me to sit down on the stroller.
I sit down and unfold my left arm so that the cut's visible.He examines it.
"The cut's pretty much clean,hope you don't scream because it's  gonna hurt."
My eyes go wide.
"It's a fact",he says getting the things from the drawer.
"What should I do then?" I ask.
He calls out for Jones and he comes over,surprised at seeing me.
"I didn't know you were already here," he says.
"You were talking to some friends of yours,that's why," I say with a small smile.
"You need to hold her,incase she screams or tries to run off," Nathan tells Jones.
"Alright," he says grabbing a cloth from the chair,"you're gonna scream in this if you feel something because I won't be letting you go."
I nod.

The dread begins.

He holds me firmly while Nathan grabs the antiseptic cotton and needle,starting off with his work.Pain shoots across my body and I try hard not to scream.Jones smoothes me and strokes my hair.I close my eyes.The needle passing through my skin makes me wail in pain.

That's it,the scream's coming out.

I scream into the cloth Jones gave me.He firmly grasps me by his arms and I hold my breath.
After what seemed like an eternity Nathan finishes off with his work.I open my eyes and look around.The officers sitting before, already went away.Nathan smiles in my direction.
"There! You're good to go,I'll be going now,I have to run on an errand," he says hurrying towards the door.
"Thanks Nathan!," I say loudly as he goes out.
"I hope he heard you," Jones says.
"I hope so too," I say.
I try to regain my composure while Jones comes around and settles beside me.
"Come here."
I smile a little and go into his embrace.He runs his hand on my back which comforts me.I just want to close my eyes and sleep.
"It hurt didn't it? Now you know what it felt like on me,when you stitched me."
"Well now,it didn't really hurt that much," I say playfully.
He laughs heartily.
"The Chief wanted to see you,go to him when you're free."
"Mhm..alright."
I feel Jones nearing me.
"Are you feeling sleepy?," he whispers.
I smile with my eyes still closed.
"Maybe..I feel really comfortable around you."
He kisses me on the forhead.
"I feel the same way too."
I smile at this.My feelings for him turn out to be getting really strong and I'm just waiting for the right moment to tell him.He hasn't yet said that he loves me and I'm not that sure from his side but I have a feeling,maybe everything will turn out perfectly fine.
I look up at him taking a sneak peak,while he smiles looking at me.
He probably doesn't remember tomorrow's my birthday.Another day with a cake for me to celebrate.It's best anyway.I won't invite anyone and I don't even really want to celebrate.I'll just keep it simple.

                                                   .  .  .  .

I come out of the Chief's office with a big smile placed on my lips and look at the golden badge I just received.With the case being successfully solved,I've been promoted to detective.Now,me and Jones will be permanent partners in crime.Getting two promotions so quick already makes me feel real happy.
I make out of the hallway and suddenly see Mike coming my way.I pace forward without looking at him.He grabs my left arm and I wince at the pain.
"Oww..let go!," I say trying not to be loud.I look around worriedly and see Ginger coming in the distance.My face goes pale and I become worried.I don't want her to see me like this.
He smiles.
"The news is eveywhere of what you did today,congragulations on doing what no one could..I have to catch up on you from the race,remember? Be prepared," he says letting go of my arm and walking away.

I look into the distance and see Ginger out of sight.I hope she didn't see anything.I need to tell Grace about this.Mike's getting on my nerves,I have to get away from him.
I open the door to her office and knock before walking in.She looks really glad at seeing me but just as she sees the worried look on my face,her smile fades away.
"Susan,is everything okay?"
I take a seat in front of her and shake my head.
"Remember when I said I had to tell you something? It's about Mike."
She looks confused and I fill her in with all the details.Shepherd's death,the assault he did and tricking me to come to his house and last but not the least,the chase from Irina's house and what happened.
Her face goes pale too and she becomes worried.
"Susan..th..this isn't right,he's assualting you mentally and physically even when he's a cop.Jones..tell him.He cares a lot for you ,he'll understand and we can figure out something.If nothing more,we'll have to report this to the Chief,an Illegal attempt case can be filed against Mike."
I nod.
"I'll tell Jones.Hiding this from him isn't right but Mike,he threatens to hurt him.I get really worried."
"Jones can take care of himself,you don't have to worry.Right now,what's important is your safety,stay away from Mike or whatever he does and if he tries to do something,I'll deal with him."
Atleast Grace is with me in this.Her words reassusre me.I have to stay positive.

You can't hurt me Mike.