Chapter 13

I sit on my couch,watching a horror movie.I turned the lights off so that the real taste of the movie could be felt.The woman comes to the door of the doll's room and opens it.Shepherd crouches beside me and I feel myself tremble at what's gonna happen next.A sudden knock at my door startles me and I gulp.

Who could be here at this time of hour?

To be cautious enough,I take the bat lying in the corner and move slowly towards the door.I unlock it gradually and strike the bat as quick as lightening.My eyes go wide with realisation as Jones grabs it,startled.

Wait,Jones?

"Hey wait! what's this for?," he asks surprised,laughing.
"I thought it might be a thief so I.."
"I see,I see and so I was lucky enough to grab the bat on time,otherwise God knows,I would've been lying on the grass,"he says,still laughing.
I burst out laughing too.
"Come in,come in,I was watching a movie,maybe you could join me."
"Sure,I wondered if you had slept or not since your house is dark.I was passing by,thought I'd meet you."
"Glad you came," I say.

Shepherd barks at Jones and I lean down to pat him.
"It's okay,he's a friend."
Jones leans down as well and strokes him.
"Good boy."
"Make yourself comfortable on the couch,I'll get more popcorns,"I say heading over to the kitchen.
This was the last thing I expected at this time of the night.
Jones'arrival.Well,all the better.

As soon as the popcorn is ready,I head back with it and sit on the other side of the couch.Shepherd sits beside Jones and I'm surprised at how quick he adjusted with him.
I hand him the bowl of popcorn while I pick up mine from the table.There is only a little gap between us.Not because that he's sitting close,just because the couch is small for two people to be in.
He enjoys the popcorn as I enjoy mine and watches the movie with the same interest as me.
"The movie's really good," he says with his eyes still fixed on the screen.
"Yeah it is," I say.

A part comes where the babysitter is walking along the hallway to check the cause of the light going out.She feels as if someone's behind her and whisks around.The scene is so tense it makes my hair stand on one end.
Jones notices me.
"Come on,nothing's gonna-"
The babysitter screams with the doll lunging at her.I scream and jump on Jones all of a sudden just as I hear something break in the kitchen.His strong hands clasp around my waist grazing my skin from the hem of my shirt,with my body leaning onto him.
He chuckles softly.
"I didn't know you were really great at jumping," he breathes out.
My cheeks flush with embarrassment as I abruptly move away from him.

What the heck was I doing?!

"Come on,lets check the kitchen," he says.
I nod.

The best thing I can do is to remove the tension in my veins away.

We both get up and go towards the kitchen.I turn the light on and find Shepherd crouched under the basket with the fallen plate at the side.He must've gotten scared.
I laugh softly and pick him up.
"You gave me a very bad fright."
"See,it was only Shepherd,he must've broken it while coming here."
Shepherd howls and goes back to the living room right after I set him down.
"Lets finish the movie for once," he says.
I follow him behind.I did get a scare alright,which led to something else.

The movie ends after an hour or two and I yawn.All this time in front of the screen makes me tired and sleepy.
"You're free tomorrow,right?," he asks.
"Not tomorrow but maybe on Monday."
"That'll be great,we'll go to an amusement park on Monday,tomorrow's the grand opening."
It's really difficeult to keep my eyes open and I yawn.My eyes feel heavy as they close.Maybe he'll notice I'm asleep and maybe he won't.

                                                   .  .  .  .

I slowly open my eyes.The bright light pouring through the window wakes me.I get up slowly and look around finding myself on the couch,a blanket over me.Last night I was with Jones...wait,Jones?
I jump out of the couch and look around,relieved at not finding him here.He must've gone when I was asleep.
I smile going through the night's event.A movie,me jumping up on him in fright.I sake my head in disbelief.