Chapter 12

I run and I run but he grabs me and ties me with a rope.My feet are tied with arms and I lie helpless on the floor with him hovering over me and touching my hair as I yelp.The person with pale yellow hair sneers at me and it almost makes me feel I recognise him.
"Your life will become hell Susan,I promise," he says laughing.
The scene changes all of a sudden and Jones sits beside me,holding my hands.
"How could you betray me?" he says with a hurt expression on his face.I try to speak but he gets up and goes away from me.I call out his name several times but the voice that comes out is of the faintest whisper.
The scene again changes and I'm running in a forest,several people in black clothes are behind me.I run,my breathing heavy until I find a dead end,leading to the waterfall.

Jump or Die.

I turn around in horror and look at them.
"Now where would you go?," they hiss.
They come closer towards me and I step back slowly,until I fall.
I jump out of the bed in reverie and look around.Sweat pricks my forehead as I shiver.

A nightmare.

I let out a sigh of relief and see the clock striking four in the morning.I sit back and go through the try to remember at what I saw.
The person I saw,what did it mean? Jones saying I betrayed him,being chased in a forest...why does it feel as if its so wrong..what does it have to do with me?
Maybe it was just a bad dream or maybe it could mean something.
This hasn't happened to me before..
Sleep doesn't come to me and I stay like this for an hour or so,until I feel drowsy and pull myself back into the covers.
                                                   .  .  .  .

I get up again,remembering the night's event and what had happened.I had a great time with Jones and had a horrible dream.I try to erase the thought out of my mind and head out towards the office.
I reach and enter the department,meeting Grace at the reception.
"Some files, you need to decode them. Write the codes on a paper and give them to Officer Lewis," she says, handing them to me.

The pile is huge as I grab it,making it difficult for me to see what's ahead.I have to look sideways as I walk.I walk trying to be careful with the files when I start to lose them out of my grasp.They become slippery and my hands tremble as I try to hold them.
I try to gain my balance and I hear someone coming in my direction.I gasp knowing that my files would fall if I don't move out of the way.
"Wait..sto-"
Too late.
The person crashes with me and all the files come pouring down on me as I fall.
"Oww..," I groan and look at Ginger,standing in front of me and grinning.
I become angry and get up.
"What is wrong with you?"
"Who me?," she laughs,"nothing that I know of."
I ignore her wistfully and pick up the files while she walks away,laughing in that witchy tone of hers.It's better not to provoke myself or her.It's her job to do that anyway.
"Wait,let me help."
I turn around and find Jones standing behind me.He looks as dashing as ever.
Why do I think that he radiates some kind of energy?
He quickly gathers some files and carries them to my office with me.I sigh and put the ones I have on the table,while he puts the other files at the side.
"Thanks Jones."
"No problem,just be a bit careful," he says walking out.

                                                    .  .  .  . 

I work up to my heart's content and finish the files off till six.Right,now I have to take these to Officer Lewis.
Who is he anyway?
The name does sound familiar as if I've heard his name before or met him.
Somehow or the other,I find his office and knock at the door.
"Come in."
I walk inside and stop.It's the same guy I bumped into the other night.The guy with the pale yellow hair.
Ohh,now I remember,he's Officer Lewis!

What was his name again...Mike!

"There are some files,Grace wanted me to hand them over to you."
He takes the file from my hands.
"Thank you Susan," he says.
I nod.
"I should be going now."
He steps in front of me just as I move to walk away.I take a step away.I look at him quirking an eyebrow with a questioning look.
"What's the rush,you just got here," he says cocking his head to the side.
My heartbeat quickens and I want to escape all of a sudden.
"I've got work to do," I say stepping aside.
"Wait,wait..silly of me,I almost forgot..The Chief wanted us to go through some files after work,there's a heck load of them so it could only be done at one's house."

What the?.. When did  this happen?

"Are you sure?.. cause the Chief never mentioned this before,I'll go and check in with him," I say starting towards the door.
"No,no,he's not here at the moment,he told me to tell you," he says abruptly.

Something's not right.

"My place at six,tomorrow?"

If he plays on me,I will take my gun and defend myself.

"Yeah sure,I'll be there."
He gives me the address.

37th street,Bakersville.
I walk out of his office as soon as I get it.

How could the Chief just say I could spend an evening with someone ?

I shake my thoughts away.I'll keep it professional if this is what it is,and be on my guard anyway.I make my way towards the Chief's office which is empty,maybe Mike was right.
I walk in towards my office already finding Grace seated,I get stricken in seeing her all of a sudden.
She laughs.
"I'm not that scary,I promise,by the way congragulations on your promotion Deputy Waterloo,I'm sure you've had an amazing night to celebrate your first achievement."
I smile.
"Yeah,it really was good,you could've come along too," I say taking my seat.
"Well I couldn't go because I was loaded with work," she says shrugging.
I smile amusingly.Let's pop in the cheesy question already.
"What's between you and Alex?"
She looks surprised by the sudden question.
"Wha..who?..me?..nothing.."
"Don't give me the I-don't-know-look," I say eyeing her.
She looks at me,her face turning pink and sighs.
"Fine! Ugh..you got me.I like him but I'm not sure from his side."
"Well why not talk about this with him for starters?"
An exciting look crosses over her face.
"We'll see."