Chapter 6

I sit up in my bed yawning.Another day,another routine.Quickly I freshen up taking a cool shower and make myself a cup of coffee.I walk outside towards Shepherd's kennel,his favourite dog biscuits for morning.He barks and jumps up and down.I laugh.
"Alright,alright,stay still," I say.
I put his bowl down as he helps himself with it.I go back inside and change into my uniform. I grab the files and check into them one last time and smile.Yep you completed your task and you can hand them over to Grace.

I make my hair hang loose so they dry quickly and keep a spare pony inside my purse going towards the car.I really need to call my Aunt.I look into my phone and dial her number. After a ring or two, she picks it up.
"Hello?"
"Hey Aunt Polly."
"Oh honey,did you reach safely? how did the first day go? did you eat? Shepherd's oka-"
"Yes,yes Aunt Polly everything's great,don't worry," I cut her laughing.
She laughs too.
"Well that's your aunt for ya!" she says exclaiming.
I get into the driving seat and start the engine.
"I thought I should call so that you know I'm doing fine and I reached here safely and right now I'm going for work,How's Becky?"I ask.
"Good to know darling and she's doing great,gone to the bakery to see how the work's going on.The bakistry is progressing."
"You make the best croissants and bakery items,of course it has to progress!" I say exclaiming.
She laughs.
I look at my watch and its already getting late.
"Well,I gotta run Aunt,I don't want to be late," I tell her.
"Of course honey,oh and I've found some stuff which belonged to your parents,want me to send them over?"
"Yeah that would be great."
"Alright,take care Susan,I love you," she says.
"I love you too."

She drops the line and I take off towards the road.I'm ready to show Jones what I've got.Today's gonna be a fresh start.I reach my destination and on my way towards my office,I say hi to Grace and Alex.
"Had a good sleep?" Alex asks.
"Yeah!," I say exclaiming.
Grace smiles as I hand her the files.
"Lets get to work,oh and Susan,meet the Chief while you go.You've got a murder case on your sleeves."
"On it," I say nodding and head towards the Chief's office. I knock at the door and find Jones already sitting.He turns my way and my breathing stops.Fresh as ever and extremely handsome.He has the ability to make girls gush about him maybe.

"Right on time,Susan.You need to solve a case,a young girl was found dead at a butcher's shop,hanged and butchered brutally," the Chief pauses and looks disgusted,takes a deep breath and continues on."You have to inspect it and see the victim's mother.I trust you both with the case because justice is what we serve," he says finishing off.
" You can count on us Chief, we'll look into it," Jones says getting up from his seat.
I do the same and stand beside him.
The Chief nods and motions us to go.

. . . .

We both step outside.
"Come on,let's get over to the training room before heading out for inspection," he says looking at me.
"Okay."
I only managed to say okay?Excellent Susan.
We step inside the training room.
"Seems like you've practised a lot," he says,smiling.
His smile is enough to make me gush.
"Yeah..yeah I did," I say as cooly as I can.
Officers greet him either way and shake his hand.It makes me feel awkward,just standing at the side.He seems pretty popular around here.
"Yo Jones!," An officer comes in our direction.
"I'm throwing a party downhill tonight,be sure to come man," he says.
I never knew police officers also threw parties.I've always thought officers were a bit boring people with work.
"I'll see,but maybe Susan would definitely make it." he says,grinning.

Me?!
"Yeah sure,name's Bob, nice meetin' ya Susan, be sure to come by,16th avenue,downhill",he says,laughing and going off.Okay the person didn't even wait for my reply. Rude.
"He didn't have time to hear what I had to say in return," I say.
He laughs.
"Don't worry,he's like that."
I smile and shrug.Alright.
"Anyway,we'll be fighting with our shoes on,have no mercy but if you want to stop,you can,The uniform we're wearing is fine,no need to change," he says as we enter the ring.
"Ready?" I ask him.
He smiles.
"Ready as I'll ever be."
With that I run towards him.He turns aside reflexively and punches me,aiming towards my stomach.I block and kick him at his side.He winces and I smile. Not bad.I move faster towards him aiming a punch but he grabs it and turns my arm and pulls me close,my back facing him.Pain shoots across my arm.
"Watch me." He whispers.With a blow he yanks me throwing me to the other side of the ring.I groan and it feels as if the world is shaking making my vision blurry.I cough and breathe,wiping the blood off the small cut beside my lower lip and wipe the sweat off as I get up again to face him.Officers in the training room gather around us and hoot.This couldn't go any worse.

Jones smiles challengingly and comes lunging towards me and aims a punch at my face.I dodge it and kick him in his groin.He stumbles back with pain.
"Good girl,come on," he says.
I find the opportunity and again kick him.He blocks it and instantly grabs it,just the same way yesterday.He shakes his head and yanks me back.I land on the floor with a thud,breath knocked out of me.
I get up and face him again.Again all the officers growl and hoot.Come on people,go to work.This isn't a death fight!!
" The thing is,never kick aimlessly,it'll only make you get hurt," Jones says.

He kicks me aiming at my face,I dodge in time.Before I regain my balance he grabs me and yanks my wrist at the back.I jump up and elbow him in the chest with a force I've never used before.He falls hard on his back and I stand on top of him.I smile and think I've won but its only my misconception.He yanks at my legs with his foot and I loose my balance landing on top of him.
Only this time they all go quiet and watch us.I gasp.My body is pressed against his as we look into each other's eyes.The sensation of weakness overwhelms me and all I want to do is close my eyes.My lips are only inches away from his and half of my hair lies on his face.

I can feel his heart beating as he moves the fallen hair and places them behind my ear.I feel I'll pass out.I realise many officers watch us intently and some blow a low whistle.
"You'd like to get up?" he asks,a smile playing on his lips.My eyes widen in realisation and I get up quickly.I feel my cheeks red hot as I straighten myself.Jones grabs my arm and pulls it up.
"The winner!" he exclaims and everyone claps or whistles.Among them I notice a blonde looking at me as if she'd eat me.

Strange.
f
I don't even know what just happened.It was as if time had stopped.I don't even think I've won,It feels as if Jones wanted me to win.
"Come on,we should probably head out for inspection," I hear him say suddenly.
"Ye..yeah,let's go," I say fumbling with words.
Why do I get nervous around him?!..