[21] Ready Or Not, Here I Come (Caleb's POV)

I love Rue <3

Anyway, like the chapter title says, I'm gonna be writing this chapter in Caleb's POV, so you get a good idea as to how he is feeling. Just thought I'd try it. xD

Oh, and make sure you read the author's note, entitled 'ATTENTION!:' in italic and bold. It's important. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I slash through the greenery of the forest, making sure not to make too much noise in case of a hiding tribute ready to pounch on anyone who passed.

I don't exactly know where I am heading, but I remember watching Rue go this way, before I told Prim how I feel about that District eleven tribute. I may not like her, but I know I'm going to have to at least be civil with Rue. For Prim's sake.

I've been walking for a few minutes now, and I've now ended up in what seems to be like a clearing, as there are no trees or shrubs in this part of the forest. I decide to shout out her name, even though I know I'm risking my own life here. I guess that's what The Hunger Games is about, after all.

"Rue? Rue!" I cry out, my heart thudding at the thought that I could be attacked any minute. I continue to stumble around, tripping over winding branches. Yet, I am still determined to find here.

I carry on calling out, lowering my voice sometimes when I hear menacing noises nearby. However, each time it's just my imagination, and in fact, there is nobody there. I think I really am going a bit insane.

Whilst I'm searching for Rue, my mind starts to wander, and I end up thinking about my time in the Hunger Games. How frightened I was at The Reaping, the interviews with Ceasur Flickerman, how I betrayed Prim, and also, Primrose herself. She's been like a life support machine at times for me, always helping me out. And if he dies in these games, and never sees her family ever again, I will just never forgive myself. I can't let that happen. She's been too much of a great friend to me.

As I'm pondering about all these aspects, not looking where I'm walking, I suddenly stumble upon something, making me jump with fright. And as I look down to see what it was, I realise that in fact, it's a body.

The body of... Rue.

"Rue!" I exclaim, quickly bending down by her side. Her eyes are closed, but as soon as she hears my voice, they abruptly flicker open. That's not what horrifes me though, it's what's around her mouth that scares me more. Her little mouth is covered in a sticky crimson coloured substance.

When she seems me, she smiles. I smile sadly back at her, yet inside I'm panicking. "What happened?" I ask her.

"Th-the berries... I ate one, but they turned a different colour and it was too late to spit them out. I recognised them too, the-they're poisonous." She stutters; speaking is obviously very hard.

I grab hold of her hand then, knowing that if the berries she swallowed are poisonous, then her minutes are limited.

I'm just about to reply, when she speaks up. "Go Caleb, you have to go. It's dangerous around here, and we don't want another tribute to die."

"No." I tell her. I may not like her, but nobody should have to die alone. Just like Father did.

"Please, I don't want you to be killed as well. You have to be there for Prim." She croaks, sitting up to peer at me. I shake my head, determined not to leave her.

"I know you're not going to back down, so I ask you one thing. Take me to Prim." I open my mouth to argue, but soon close it. "Okay," I whisper, "Can you walk?"

Rue nods. "I think so."

I help her to her feet, wrapping an arm around her waist to steady her. We half walk, half stumble back to where I left Prim, and as soon as we reach our location, I carefully help Rue to sit down. However, Prim is nowhere to be seen, so making sure that Rue is comfy, I go off to find my fellow tribute for District 12.

It's not long before I find her, hopping around, and trying to hunt for some food. She jumps when she spots me, and lightly punches me on the arm. "You scared me!" She exclaims, but I know by the way she's laughing that she's only joking. "Did you find Rue?"

I nod, not knowing how to break the news to her. "Yeah, I did... But she's dying Prim, and she wants to see you before you go."

She looks at me, her eyes growing wide, before mumbling something so fast that I can't make out what she's saying. I stare at her, still in shock at what's happened in the past half an hour.

"No. It can't be. I don't believe you." She replies, looking at the floor, and shifting from on foot to the other.

"I'm sorry, but it is. She only has a small amount of time left, so I think you should go see her. She did ask for you, after all." I tell her softly, putting an arm around her shoulders to guide her back to Rue, seeing as she's in shock just like I am too.

But just as we're hobbling along as fast as we can, with Prim's sore leg, I hear the horrible noise of the cannon, echoing in my ears. I freeze for a second, taking in what might have just happened, before I plunge into action.

"Come on! Try and run!" I scream at Prim, who's eyes are wide with fear. Seeing as her legs juts wont co-operate, I half drag her to the clearing where Rue is situated.

Letting go of Prim, I rush up to Rue, shaking her slightly, praying that the boom of the canoon hadn't signified her death. Prim comes over now too, lowering her head to Rue's chest to check her breathing.

I continue to shake her, whispering to her, "Wake up, Rue. Come on, just open your eyes!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This chapter nearly had me in tears :'(

Very short, but I just had to leave it on a cliffhanger :)

5 votes for the next chapter by tomorrow. If not, then it may be a while till I update.

Dont forget to comment and tell me what you think/what you think will happen next xD

ATTENTION!:

I'm writing a story called Never Been Kissed, and this is the blurb:

Sixteen year old Aviery Jenkins has never been kissed. Unless you count an awkward, quick peck on the lips with her first boyfriend in fifth grade, who happens to now hate her. For no reason.

When she and her best friend Ashleigh head to a party, a drunken Ashleigh decides Aviery must do something for her virgin lips, seeing as her seventeenth birthday is fast approaching. Writing up a list of boys that she must kiss, Aviery agrees to go ahead with Ashleighs crazy idea, only regretting it not soon later. It's only meant to be a harmless game with no heartbreak, but what happens when she actually begins to fall for number 5 on her list? I guess that's what you get when you've Never Been Kissed.

What do you guys think?! PLEASE COMMENT if you will read it when I post it :)