[4] New Home

Chapter 4.

Just so you all know, this is a hunger games fan fiction and NOT going to be completely like the original story.

People have been commenting things like 'Where's Cinna?'. I've changed details so it's not just the same as the real story! Otherwise I would be copying it and that's not what I want to do, thank you. Please read the author's note, where I explain this in more detail, if you haven't already :)

Okay, enough ranting (It just annoyed me) :p

This is going to be quite short I think (like the previous chapters) but I promise as I get more and more into te story the chapter lengths will increase :D

Enjoy :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Smile Prim!" Effie shouts at me, as I look bewildered because of all the flashes blinding me.

I just grunt in reply, but plaster on a fake smile. To keep Effie happy, that is.

Caleb and I try to push past all the Capitol people who have came here specially to gawp at us. But it seems to be harder than it looks, and in the end a security guard has to escort us away. Effie follows closely behind, with Haymitch trailing at the end.

"Wow, mad that! Why are they so interested in us?" Caleb says, grinning.

"I don't know," I mumble, trying to concentrate on where the guard is taking us.

After a olot of shoving people out of the way, he leads us through a narrow road, the street covered in Hunger Games banners, and we spot for the first time where Caleb and I will be sleeping for the next few days.

"This is the Training Centre! You will be staying here for the next few days leading up to the Hunger Games!" Effie Trinket shrieks, yet again in that annoying voice she seems to use all the time.

The guard nods at us, before dissapearing behind a wall. Oh how I wish I could do that.

"You will also be training here too, so we can get into shape before the games and give you a better chance of winning," Effie continues, beaming at me.

"Training? I don't need training!" Caleb says, grinning, as he flexes his muscles as if to show he works out all the time.

I laugh, while Effie just frowns at him. Haymitch doesn't say anything; I think he's stil confused as to where he is after all the drink he consumes.

We enter the Training Centre, and go towards a huge lift, the glass of it gleaming in the sunlight. Effie mutters a few words to the lift contender, and before I know it, we're shooting up high into the air, with only a glass box to stop us from falling.

I thank the man as we exit the lift, and ask him if he remembers Haymitch from when he was a tribute and came to this building. He doesn't reply though. Instead, he looks sadly at me, then quickly turns away as he spots Caleb walking swiftly towards us both.

"Prim! Effie says you need to hurry up, and that we're on a tight schedule," Caleb says, mimiking Effie's voice.

I turn away from the lift contender, smiling at him as I go.

"Hey, why didn't he answer me?" I ask Caleb, as we walk towards the distant figure that must be Effie. This corridor on the top floor really is long.

"Why? Didn't you know? He's an anox, of course," Caleb replys, laughing at me for asking him that question. Like he thought everyone in Panem knew the answer to it. Except me.

"Um, what's one of them?" I say, looking at the floor as I feel embarassed not knowing the answer.

"Are you messing?! It's someone who's had their tongue cut of, because they have done something to annoy the Capitol," He says.

I turn to him, shocked. Why would they do such a thing?

"Ar-are you joking?" I stutter.

"No, of course not!" He says, looking at my expression, "Now put on a happy face, we don't want Effie Trinket to be worrying!"

So I do what he says, and as we approach Effie, I plaster on a fake smile, like everything in the world is perfect. Ha, I wish.

"Training is later, now we get changed and eat, then off to meet the other tributes from the other 11 districts." Effie tells us, as we walk into our apartment.

As soon as I see where I will be living, I'm completely mesmorized. Just the hall is huge, and as we walk into what I think is the living room, I notice the crystal chandeliers dangling from the ceiling. A dining table sits in the middle of the room far ahead, and it's completely covered in dishes; some I remember from on the train, other's completely new to me.

One in particular catches my eye. It looks at a far away view just like a plain piece of bread, but as I peer closer at it, I notice the substance that made this is just like the grain we have at home. A wave of homesickness washes through me then, as images of Katniss screaming when I was picked at the reaping, and my mother crying flash through my head.

I want to go crawl away, and cry my eyes out, but I know I need to be strong and show that I am going to try to win the 74th Hunger Games.

Not that that will happen. I bet more than half of the other tributes are 16, and as tough as a brick. There's no chance that I will ever kill them before they crush me to death with just their bare hands.

My thoughts are yet again interrupted, as I hear Caleb's voice tell me to take a seat at the table and eat.

Hungrily, I do just that, and took into all the luscious meals. From fish in cheese sauce, to plum stew, I try all of them. I've never tasted any of these before though, as at home we just eat the basics, as this type of food is rare and so expensive.

I avoid the bread made from the grain in District 12 though, as I don't want Caleb to see me as the weak, little girl I really am.

After lunch, I decide to get changed yet again into a cleaner outfit.

Sayla tends to my hair, and puts it into my two plaits that I normally have it in.

"How about a bit of make-up?" Sayla asks me, his vibrant blue hair bobbing up and down.

"No thank you," I reply politely. I mean, I'm 12. I shouldn't wear it, and we don't have it at home either. Plus, it's only training. Nobody cares what you look like, instead they just want to know your strengths and your weaknesses.

"Hmm. Okay. After training, I'm coming for tea to talk about your outfit for your interview," He says.

I just nod, smiling. Even though I don't show it, I'm worried about the interview and if people will like me or not.

"Off you go now, try to come across a bit mysterious yet talented in your training, it always makes the other tributes wonder about you," He advises me.

"I'll try," I shout behind me, as I exit my room, and go towards the door of the apartment, where I see Caleb standing waiting for me, Effie fussing over him, as usual.

"You ready?" He asks me as I get closer to him.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will try to upload soon :)

Wrote this on iPod again, so I'll be editing it tomorrow in case of errors, so please don't comment on them, thanks :D