[15] That Guilty Feeling

Dedicated to JessicaChamblin for giving me the inspiration to write the next chapter the next night :D

I'm starting to really enjoy this story, so expect a lot of updates in these holidays :D

I'm also working on Broken Beyond Repair (the story that's been on hold for agesss). Please check it out, as I'm trying to write stories from all different genres :D

I've also got a lot more Hunger Games fan fictions lined up, but I'm gonna finish this and Broken Beyond Repair before I post another one, as I also want a rest from the Hunger Games :p

Hope you enjoy! :)

And last thing, this is going to be a very short chappy as I want the next one to start at a certain time :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have to tell Caleb that it's now or never. But if I shout to him, they'll know that we're planning something. Yet, I have to do something before she fires another arrow or even Cato launches his spear up.

Crouching down so that I'm out of sight, I shout as loud as I can, "Go go go!". Hopefully Caleb will understand what I mean by this.

I close my eyes, praying that I will hear the explosion soon. I wait breathlessly, praying that they haven't killed Caleb before he had a chance to throw the grenade-type bomb.

But soon enough, I hear a ear-deafening fizzing noise, followed by a loud bang and a chorus of screams. The force of the blast shakes the tree, but doesn't cause any damage as we are very high up.

When the screams finally come to an end, I scramble down the tree to where Caleb is located, hoping that the grenade didn't affect him. Luckily it hasn't, but he still looks pretty shaken up.

"What's up?" I ask him, genuinely concerned. I suppose I sort of pretended that I was his 'friend' at the beginning of our alliance, but now, I really do care about him.

"I-I... Just killed somebody..." He says, stumbling upon his words. "Look, she's dead and it's my fault."

"Is it safe to look?" I ask him. "Yeah, as soon as I threw it Clove and Cato ran for it, but the other girl wasn't as lucky. It hit her full on. The worst thing is, she isn't dead yet. Just a few minutes left of her life."

I slowly lean over, mentally preparing myself for what I'm about to see. But nothing could prepare me; the scene before me is truly horrific.

The girl tribute's skin is a graphite colour, and covered in millions of burns. Although I'm still pretty high up from her, I can see how horribly the grenade has affected her. I can hear soft whimpers escaping her lips, but other than that she's completely still.

"Wow..." Is all I manage to spit out, as I look over at Caleb.

"You think?" He says, "And I'm the one whose going to have to live with it!" He shouts the last bit, his voice wobbly and high-pitched. It's easy to tell that he's nearly in tears. The canon also goes off, making it definite that the girl we've just killed is completely dead.

I sigh, before taking a deep breath. "Look, it must be terrible to have to kill someone, but this is a game. We're in the Hunger Games now Caleb, and killing other tributes is part of the rules. Just think about it like this, if you wouldn't have killed her, she probably would have went on and killed one of us. It's part of the whole game, so don't think about it too much, okay?" I look over to see his reaction, expecting him to be either upset or angry at my little outburst; but what I see is something very different. Instead of either of them emotions, he's laughing.

"What's so funny?" I question him, annoyed at his reaction. I've just tried to make him feel better, and he has the nerve to laugh in my face!

"Oh nothing much, just the fact that you sounded so grown up then." He smirks, still chuckling to himself.

"Well, at least I have grown up, unlike some," I mumble, thinking he wouldn't hear me. Unfortunately, he does.

"Oh, be quiet," He snaps, his mood suddenly changing, "I think I have grown up, considering I've just murdered someone, don't you?"

"Fine, fine, you win." I say, holding my hands up in front of me as I don't really want to cause an argument.

"I'm glad of that." He growls, standing up and stretching his arms. I guess we're both tired of the same scenery.

"One thing though, why the sudden change of mood?" I ask him curiously.

"I'm not sure... I guess it's just the arena. It makes me have real bad mood swings." He replies.

"Yeah, tell me about it," I say, sighing, "And another thing, then I'll leave you alone; you know when you woke up this morning, you seemed very distressed. What was all that about?"

"Well, um..." He mutters, awkwardly looking away.

"Tell me, please. Then maybe I can help." I say, looking concerned. Sometimes, I feel just like a grown up like Caleb told me before. I guess the arena has just made me more mature for my age.

"I can't, I'm sorry, but it's a no go area. I haven't told anyone. Never have and probably never will." He smiles weakly at me.

"Aw, okay then. So," I say brightly, trying to lighten up the mood, "Shall we move and go in search for some food?"

 "Sounds good to me." He says, smiling.

---------

"Don't move!" I instruct Caleb, crouching down in the bushes so that I won't scare off my prey.

"I'm not moving, I'm sat right here," He mumbles from right behind me.

Slowly, I creep forward with my homemade weapon (consisting of a very sharp rock that Caleb had found a few minutes ago and a large stick that's tied together with a long blade of strong grass), my eyes carefully on the rabbit in front. I pouch, my movement quick and sudden; so fast in fact, that the rabbit is in so much shock he doesn't move. This gives me time to kill it.

"Well done, Prim!" Caleb says, hitting me on the back in a celebratory way.

I stand up, rubbing my back. "Thanks. Now, where shall we gut it and cook it?"

"Just a bit deeper in the woods, apart from our last run in, it's normally pretty quiet around there." He replies, trying to rub of a layer of cakey mud that's formed on his pants.

I nod, before turning on my heel and delving further into the forest. By the time Caleb's found an 'appropriate' spot, we're both covered in strange marks and drenched from the powerful rain that's just started.

"Guess we won't be eating for a while." Caleb announces, as he throws himself down onto the floor underneath a tree that gives us good coverage from the heavy rain.

"You can say that again," I sigh, as I put the dead rabbit into my backpack for later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Short chapter! Sorry if it's a bit boring as well :s

I just thought it would be best to stop it here, before the whole story is just speech. :P

And finally, beg me and vote and I may update tomorrow :D