Chapter 26~Finnick

"You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it is better to listen to what it has to say." --Paul Coelho

~~~

I was only a little less than terrified in the weeks after I came back from the Capitol. I still didn't want to endanger Annie but the only person who seemed to agree with my plan was me. Still there was a small part of me that was happy and I hated that part who remained ecstatic while Annie was in danger.

Since staying away didn't work I did the exact opposite and stayed by Annie as much as possible that way I could at least protect her. I kept expecting something to happen to her, but when nothing did, I began to think that maybe Mr. Cresta was right. As long as no one else knew about our relationship things would be okay.

I started acting normally again and the tightness in my chest melted away along with my anxieties. During those months I realized why Annie fought so hard for us to be together. The love we had, it was beautiful. I know that's extremely corny, but it's true. Every time I saw Annie my breath was taken away. There was always something new and interesting about her. Even in the moments she was sort of out of it, she still managed to bring me a sense of comfort.

Most days we'd stay on the beach in the Village or swim out to our oasis, and most nights were spent with Mags, Mr. Cresta, and Luke. People would expect a more extravagant life from me, something with a little more sophistication and whatnot. But I liked this simple life. I was content and couldn't care less about all of that status or money. We were happy.

However as the Victory Tour got closer and closer, the anxiety began to come back. There would be camera crew everywhere and Snow will be making sure to keep an extra eye. I decided that just to play it safe, I wouldn't see Annie two days before and after the tour. It'll be the five worst days of my life but worth it if it'll keep Annie safe.

I'm going to savor every minute with Annie since it'll be a while since I can be with her. So three days before the tour I'm at Annie's house bright and early. I use the key Mr. Cresta gave me to unlock the door. The house is still dark and quiet. I glance at the clock on the wall. No wonder. It's only a little past six. I woke up from a nightmare and couldn't go back to sleep. I saw the sun up and decided to come over. I guess I should've looked at the clock first.

I sit down on the couch before I get restless. I haven't been able to sit still since about two weeks ago when I realized how truly close the tour was. I want to be able to do something but this isn't a situation where I can solve the problem myself. I can only do what I think is right and hope it's enough.

Finally I can't take it. I need to do something, so I stand up and go into the kitchen. I start rummaging through the fridge and cupboards. I'm going to cook them breakfast. Maybe then I can keep my mind off the frenzy of thoughts in my head.

I decide to make blueberry pancakes with a side of eggs and bacon. I take out all of the ingredients and lay them out on the counter. I try to be quiet, but I guess it doesn't work or Annie just woke up early, because she ends up walking in around seven.

Annie comes in rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Her hair is standing up slightly on one side and her clothes are crumpled, but she still radiates a natural beauty. When she sees me standing there her eyes widen before she smiles.

"I have the best boyfriend," Annie says.

My heart still jumps at the word boyfriend. I don't think I'll ever get used to it. "You sure do. I'm kind of jealous actually, and I hear he has an amazing girlfriend."

"You should be jealous. He's lucky," Annie jokes.

She sits down at the table and watches me curiously. I keep talking to her as I finish up everything. I only have to cook a couple more eggs and I'll be done.