secrets.

- for the secrets we share & keep

SEPTEMBER 15, 2018
9:08 AM

"Cinco minutos más, mija," Abuelita cooed at me as she continued making adjustments to the bright and puffy quince dress. I yawned an 'okay' at her as I rubbed my eyes.

I was exhausted.

I was up all last night. It had been like that for the last few nights since the shoot pictures came out. I had gained one-hundred thousand followers in four days and according to Chris a lot of new companies wanted me to model for their brands now. He told me I was like one of those overnight sensations; I popped up and everyone is suddenly so interested in me. He was busy sorting through the deals everyone was offering and he told me he would get back to me on which ones were the best.

"Abuelita!" Cam yelled, happily as she ran inside of the Martinez house. I looked down at her from my spot on top of the coffee table as she shoved a sketchbook towards Abuelita. She turned away from me to look at it.

"Oh, these are gorgeous!" she exclaimed, letting go of the dress and grabbing the notebook. "Are these for your job?"

Cam nodded. "Yes, and I want you to help me make them!"

A look of surprise took over Abuelita's features before she frowned and shook her head, handing the sketchbook back to Cam. "No," she refused, returning back to the dress. "Those are your designs, mija. They're yours to make."

Cam frowned before cutting Abuelita off from making my dress by standing in between the coffee table and the couch. She looked down at her. "No, I want to make them with you. I'm going to make them with you," she insisted, but Abuelita still wasn't letting up. Cam sighed and sat at the edge of the table so she could look at her at eye level. I quickly held the skirt of the dress up and stepped back, giving her room. "Abuelita, you're the entire reason I got into fashion in the first place. Ever since I was little I heard echoes around the streets about the woman on 78th who made amazing dresses. And then when I saw it for the first time I knew that's what I wanted to do. I look up to you, Abuelita. I want to do this with you."

Abuelita was in tears at this point and honestly, so was I. "Oh, Abuelita!" I cried, wiping my eyes. "Make the dress with her, please!"

Abuelita looked from me to her, teary eyed, before eventually nodding and engulfing her in a hug. It was a giant crying fest and I knew we all probably looked crazy, so the kids' shock when they walked into the house was understandable.

"Um, are you guys okay?" Jamal asked, slightly frightened.

"Did someone die?" Cesar questioned from beside Jamal.

"Did someone you know get shot?" Monse asked, concerned.

"Oh, you're talking about that shoot out on 70th street?" Zahra guessed.