twenty eight (Adele)

Hey everyone :D

We're really sorry this took so long! But we hope you like Adele's next chapter xx

Enjoy!

I've always liked the thought of flying. Of surrendering to the wind, letting go, giving in.

It was a dream of mine as a child. One single piece of weltering ignorance I have refused to give up.

Although only now, as the helicopter, or whats left of it, skims the ground below, just tasting the surface, I realise that this is as close as I'll ever get.

So with the abused vehicle still hovering a few metres from the ground and that thought of flying still in mind I test it out, succumbing to everything and press forward, my head barely looming outside the cabin when a hand wrenches me back.

I'd like to get you there in one piece,” a man says. A man I hadn't realized was here beside me until now. “If that's alright with you.”

I study his face for a moment, his deep brown complexion. The colour makes it hard to determine his age, although I guess he would be about thirty. So dark his teeth glow a dazzling white as he speaks, which is both strange and marvellous at the same time.

“You alright there?” He almost whispers, with eyes that can only be perceived as kind. I feel an instant liking towards this stranger.

But for a moment I ponder over that question.

Am I alright?

Reeve is dead. And there is nothing to say that the others aren't too.

So no. No I am not.

But I can't seem to find the strength to open my mouth, to shake my head, or even move at all. And what scares me more is that fact that even if it was there, the ability to function, I still don’t think I'd bother.

Reeve is dead. And I may as well be responsible.

The world beneath us shudders for a moment, as though the earth is being ripped from its very foundations. And I clutch onto the man's hand to keep me from tumbling from the helicopter, even though seconds ago I would have jumped out myself for sure.

Time passes, the violent bursts of movement dispersing and then there is solid earth beneath my feet as I am lowered to the ground, there is a bottle pressed to my lips, there is cold liquid surging down my throat. And then there are people surrounding me, studying me, exploring for injuries, for signs that I'm not okay. When really I'm fine. My skin simply decorated in cuts and bruises, in blood that isn't mine, that never was.

I open my mouth to speak, to scream, but there's nothing. Only silence. Only numbness. To the point where I don't feel anything at all. Nothing but a dark hand on my shoulder, urging me forward, across the helipad, away from the wind and the spinning rotors beating with life and everything I once was. Everything that once mattered but now doesn't. That now means nothing.

I am nearing the sliding glass doors when something catches my attention, something so close yet so far away. To my right, almost glowing in the distance a dazzling girl with sweeping blond hair tears across the landing pad, her clothes are torn, her face and limbs smeared with blood, but she is somehow beautiful all the same.

With parted lips I find my voice, finally. Finally.

“Raine!” The name tears from my throat, like a tongue of fire, rendering it raw. “Raine!”