twenty six (Aspen)

Hey everyone, I just wanna say a big thank you for getting this far into the book, we are so close to the end, it is'nt funny!! I am so excited to be posting this chapter because it brings about a shock or two, so I hope you enjoy this chapter, I'll let you start reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hot breaths leave my chaffed lips as my arms swing back and forth, my legs soaring in front of me. I feel swift, like a bird swooping past the trees, travelling towards the sky. My lungs breathe in new air, urging me to keep going, pleading for me to escape the life I once lived.

The flickering sun edges on the horizon, casting shadows to cloud around my battered body. My feet tamper along the ground, creaking logs and rustling leaves constantly building anticipation along my nerves. The cool touch of my fingers is swarmed within gloves, as I feel my heartbeat through their very tips.

But every now and again, my eyes don’t cling to the woods around me, they turn back to the past.

I can’t shake the memories of only the short minutes ago, the screaming agony within the dark, the nerves that ran through my blood as I climbed the creaky stair railing. The way the howling bullets and piercings shocks of light surrounded every corner. The way everything unreal became real in an instant.

I can hardly remember the clarity within myself, I can’t remember my voice, and I can’t remember myself.

Only the blaring sound of screams from below, the way Adele forced her way to stay down there, to be with Reeve. I couldn’t handle leaving her behind, but someone, something stopped me. My fear. I was, and still am, afraid that she might’ve not climbed up those stairs. I ran away, or rather, was dragged away, before I knew it. And now I can’t handle myself.

Although I know each step brings me closer to freedom, and at this moment the faster I allow my body to run, the taste of victory lies between my teeth. I can almost taste it, the sickly sweet feeling of accomplishing something. For the very first time in my life.

In front of me, I watch others wearing the same uniform, clinging to the edge of my vision. Even though I was one of the first out of tunnel, I realise in the light of morning that I have been left behind. They are more nimble, soaring through the woods like sparrows, leaving me stranded. Although I still feel alive, my arms and legs flying along the floor, but nothing compared to others.

Branches jut out at every direction, filling my vision, obstucting my path. They tug at my uniform, tearing it into pieces, and scratch at my skin like small insects. The warmth of fresh blood pools on my cheek, another at my ankle. The only sense of warmth on my skin in this winter nightmare.

At this moment, those who are meant to be saving me are no longer in my view, I am alone, treading through this endless maze, with captors behind me, in hot pursuit and military soldiers around each peering corner. The immense amount of nerves filtering through me purge deep within my skin, sift through my veins.

My feet compound with the floor faster than I believe is possible, my heart a bomb inside my chest, my ears and hands, furiously racing against me. I know that everything leading up to this means nothing if the clock beats me, if the past catches up. And those are the thoughts that allow my body to handle such extreme pain.

I’ve never felt more agony; I’ve never been one for running. And now I've come to regret that. Each breath feels like a tongue of fire down my throat, each lunge tremors up my spine, and each sound is distorted. My vision lacks vibrancy, every colour closer to grey than normal, and every tree slightly larger in proportion.

Sound wavers back and forth, carried through the cool winter breeze. My name constantly called from behind, and somehow I’m too afraid to wonder if it’s real or a fragment of my imagination. If I turn back and someone is there I'm vulnerable to be left behind, but if there's nothing I risk losing myself.