twenty one (Raine)

The lamp's soft glow circulates the room, casting shadows across the walls, the carpeted floor. A slight chill harnesses the air, the kind of chill that is hardly there, but is capable of freezing your bones at the same time. This room is quite small in proportion to the others in this place, though the height of the ceiling makes up for much of that. I pull my woollen coat tighter around my recently filled out frame, turning to face Adele and Aspen. They have both changed so much in these past few weeks. Each has filled out from their bone thin state upon their arrival, a slight glow present in their cheeks. Adele's hair has regained most of its previous volume, the bruises that stained Aspen's skin virtually gone. However though our physical marks may be fast disappearing, the scars of this experience will forever hinder our minds, our hearts.

"What do you think Raine?" Adele's voice echoes off the metal-framed furniture, her eyes wide, questioning.

"I'm sorry, what?" I move a little closer to the seated pair, my boots sinking into the plush, gold tinted carpet.

"What do you think about all of this?" Adele repeats.

A sigh expels from my lips as I sink into the armchair opposite her. "I still can't believe it," I reply honestly. "For all the awful our parents have done...well I never thought they'd be capable of something like this."

Aspen nods, curling her denim-clad legs beneath her as she leans back against the plump cushions. "I know what you mean Raine; this doesn't seem real at all. I feel like this is some impossible alternate universe; that any second I'm going to wake up, and everything will go back to the way it was."

"The way it was?" Adele questions. "Are you sure you'd want that Aspen? At least we know what we're up against this way, even if it is hard to accept."

"I think you're right Adele, I don't want to keep living in the dark. But drugs are just such a huge, serious thing. How could we have been so close to this and not even realise it?" I question incredulously.

"Our parents are careful; they have so many connections, I don't think it's that hard to imagine really." Adele replies. We fall silent for a moment, thinking. We've lived with our parents for eighteen years, nineteen in Aspen's case. How many of those were plagued with this in the background?

"How long do you think we'll have to stay here for?"

"Too long," Adele replies to me. "It's only been a few weeks and I already can't stand it."

"Hey!" Aspen interrupts. "I know it isn't perfect, but I think my brother's been quite sweet with all his hospitality. I mean, this place is amazing, the food is gorgeous; wasn't dinner lovely just now? Besides I think it's quite clear you have nothing against him, quite the opposite in fact."

"What do you mean by that?!"

"Oh Adele, you can't think I haven't noticed. I've seen the way you look at him, the way you blush when he smiles at you-"

"Wait; what? Who are we talking about here? Surely not Oliver?"

Aspen turns to me, a smile stretching across her glossed lips. "Of course Oliver, Raine. Honestly I thought you might've noticed already. Haven't you seen the way they act around each other?"

Adele and Oliver? Surely not; I would've thought Reeve if anything. "Is this true?" I ask Adele, surprise evident on my features. But before she can reply, Aspen is talking again. "Of course it's true! Just watch okay Raine? You'll see what I mean."

"What about Reeve?" I question Adele gently. She swallows, a flash of real emotion passing through her eyes. It is in that moment that I know she doesn't care for Oliver. But I know Adele. She has a plan with this, so I won't say anything, not for now at least. "I haven't spoken to him." She replies carefully, eyelashes sweeping her cheekbones as she looks away. There is more to this as well, but I won't push her. She adjusts her jumper, moving her caramel hair from her eyes.