Chapter Twenty Four;

Dear Asher,

It has been a week since I left home. Everything has been going smoothly. Everyone here is really nice. They're all very welcoming and very helpful. I met someone who's a lot like you, funny young and smart. A lot of people here had their whole lives ahead of them, and they still do. I can't believe how many people here might not be going home to their families.

I can't afford to think like that, because I'm suppose to be focused on my job. Which by the way has been going great. So many of these soldiers are so young, it's sad really. They're drafted, some of them sign up, it's just really intense and I can't help but think about their safety. I've been able to successfully work on everyone that's been on my tables and save them. I've saved lives, Asher. Numerous lives. The feeling is unbelievable.

Anyway, I miss you, Mom, and Dad. Please tell them I do. Oh, and don't forget Aaron. I miss him too.

Love, Peyton.

I put down my pen and sit the letter on my desk. Sure, I could keep writing, but honestly what could I say differently? I miss Asher, and I miss my family, but I can't tell them through the whole letter. It would just be filled with 'I miss you, I wish I was home' . I can't do that to them, I have to make them believe I'm strong.

The hard part now is going to be writing a letter to Chris. How will I start it? I miss him about as much as I miss my family. I bet he's still a little mad at me for doing this, I can't believe he didn't freak out more than he did. I honestly thought our relationship would have ended right then and there. Though I'm not complaining, I'm glad it didn't.

I miss Chris. More than ever now. It's tough being here, some of the male Doctors have taken an interest in me lately, I'm not interested. Some of them are old enough to be my father. Which some girls might like. Me, not so much. I find it gross and weird. Luke keeps them away from me though, and Cornal Short has made it clear to them that if they touch me or even make a move on me they'll be cleaning the latrines.

Cornal Short has done his best to make me happy through the week I've been here. He's been holding off the men, teaching me new things about being an army surgion, and acting like my second father. He's become an important person in my life now. Speak of the devil, he walks through the door.

"Care to go for lunch with the General and I?" He asks. I smile and nod, putting on my boots real quickly. I've met the General before too, he thinks I'm a little young to be doing this. I don't blame him, I had to lie about my age just to get into the army. In case you don't remember, I'm only 17. The army age is 18, and my birthday is in December, about a month from now.

Cornal Short and I walk down to the mess tent, where we find General James sitting at the table waiting for us. He smiles and stands, and we both salute him.

"How's the army been on your end General?" I ask, taking a sip of my coffee. I find it very hard not to drink, it tastes better than I remember it tasting when I sipped my Fathers a couple years ago, which is sort of strange because everything tastes worse in the army.

"It's probably easier than what you've been going through here." He smiles and Cornal Short nods.

The General looks around for a moment, and he leans in closer to the Cornal and I. Looking from his left to his right once again, he smiles and starts to whisper something to us.

"Cornal, we need to keep this quiet. And Peyton, you've only been here for about a week, but guess what? There's rumors going around there will be a cease fire" The General says, smiling brightly at us and taking a swig of his coffee. I start to become very excited, but end up disappointed when the Cornal says there's always rumors about a cease fire.

"Yes, but this ones real. It might not be official until after Christmas unfortunately, but it is real. Peyton, you're lucky you're only going to be here for about a month or two" General James winks at me, and stands up. "I'll let you know every detail I hear. Cornal, Lieutenant. " He salutes us, and then walks out the door of the mess tent.

Cornal Short looks at me and smiles, tapping my shoulder as he walks away. I run straight to my tent, I have to tell Chris. I have to write to him and tell him that he's only in danger for about another month. He needs to know.

But wait, can I tell anyone about the cease fire?

I can't. The General says we need to keep this quiet. I can't possibly tell Chris, because he'll tell his friend he's been stationed with and the other soldiers. I can't possibly tell anyone about this until it actually happens. I still need to write a letter to Chris though. I need to let him know that I'm safe, and that I miss him.

****************************************************************************************************

CHRIS'S POV

I needed you to know that I'm safe. I got here in good time, a man named Luke Bridges was the pilot of the chopper. He's become very close to me lately, but not like you would think. More like a best friend, he reminds me a lot of Aaron.

I've met a lot of nice people here, one of which is my Cornal. His name is Michael Short, and he's been like a second father to me. Though, I don't think he would want to hurt you. I miss you Chris, I really do. You're such an important person to me, please be safe.

I love you,

Peyton.

I sit the letter down on the makeshaft bed at one of the other M*A*S*H units I'm stationed at. It's a hospital, but it's also a home for soldiers who are on a break. It's been a week, and Jake and I have seen so many people killed, it hurts. I can't believe people do this every day without a break, and not care that they're doing it. I've killed people, and I can't shake the feeling.

I know that I need to write back to Peyton, I just don't know what to tell her. I'm alright, I guess I'll start with that.

I pick up my pen and twirl it around in between my fingers, writers block running through my brain.