Chapter Twenty-Two;

CHRIS' POV

It was then that I realized I had done something terribly, terribly wrong. The look on Peyton's father's face as I tell him I'm going to be a soldier along with Jake. The disappointment that sweeps over his emotions. I can't tell whether it's directed towards me or Peyton. All I know is that when he says "You've got your hands full with this one, Peyton." I want to wipe that sarcastic grin right off his face.

I tense up, and curl my hands into fists by my side. I don't break eye contact with Mr. Moore until Peyton tugs on my arm. I give her a look, something I hope she took as "I want to protect you. I won't let him talk to me like this" But I don't say anything. I stay quiet, and at the right time, I turn away from Peyton's family. I hope they didn't notice my face burning bright red with anger.

My breathing is louder than I expected it would be, and Peyton keeps her eyes on me as we walk towards the graduation party. I keep my arms off of her, fearing that she'll just push me away. Just as we reach the outside of the gym doors, Peyton stops me. I turn to face her with the calmest look I can manage to put on my face.

"Hey, what was that back there?" She asks, looking up at me with disappointment in her eyes. I give her my best clueless look.

"What was what?" I reply, and I watch her shake her head, anger flowing through her. She's disappointed and angry, that should be good for another fight like we had about an hour or two ago.

"Don't lie and say you don't know what. Chris, why did you make an ass of yourself to my father?" I fight the urge to roll my eyes at her. I shake my head as a replacement.

"I didn't make an ass of myself to your father. He made an ass of himself to me." I state, knowing that she won't like that.

"Chris, don't be like this. Dad was just shocked that I was going to be shipped out tomorrow morning. Please, can we just go to the party and dance?" She pleads, glitters of hope in her eyes. Before even thinking, I speak again.

"He was shocked? Imagine how I felt....."

I mentally curse myself for saying that. She looks at me, infuriated. Her eyes have opened wide in disbelief that I just said that. I can practically feel the heat coming off of her body as her face goes red. Again, I mentally curse.

"You didn't seriously just say that to me, did you?!" I look at her quizzically. "You neglected to tell me that you were going to be a SOLDIER, CHRIS" She shakes her head, and I can tell she's forcing tears back into her eyes.

"You didn't tell me you signed up to be an army doctor either!" I shout back, feeling the heat rising out of my cheeks.

"Chris, we already had this conversation. I didn't know I was going to be an army doctor either. Not until a little before graduation. You can't be like this, it's not fair!" She says, sounding like a child. I don't mind though, I know that she's right.

For a split second before she turns away from me, I see one single tear fall down her cheek. I walk towards her, and wrap my arms around her. I thought she wouldn't let me touch her, not right now anyway. But she lets me wrap my arms around her. She lets me brush the hair back from her face, and she lets me wipe tears off of her cheeks.

"I'm sorry Peyton." I whisper to her over and over again. I bury my face in the crook of her neck, my lips catching a warm feeling as I touch them to her skin.

After Peyton calms down, we walk into the party that's being held in the gym.

Purple, red, green, and blue lights flash all around us. Music blasts loudly through the surround sound speakers. There are balloons everywhere, and even some streamers hanging down. All in all, it's beautiful, and I can't imagine a better place I'd rather be with Peyton right now.