Chapter Twenty;

CHRIS'S POV

I wake up and stretch, feeling my back crack a little. I wince at the sudden pain. I touch my lip where it split, and realize that it doesn't hurt anymore. Getting out of bed, I make my way into the bathroom. I have a quick shower, and then head downstairs in a pair of jeans and a tight black t-shirt. I'm going to training with Jake today.

He's already here, sitting on one of the kitchen table chairs with a mug in his hand. I don't even know him that well, but I'm hoping we'll become good friends. I've heard friendships in the army are rare.

Jake turns his head and looks at me as soon as I step on the loose floorboard in the kitchen doorway. When I see the fridge door close I know how Jake got in my house. Beck is standing there, in a white muscle shirt and a pair of ripped jeans.

"Morning Chris" He says, tossing me a beer. I shake my head and sit it on the table. Beck frowns.

"I'm not a big drinker, especially not in the morning. You know that" I say. He nods and rolls his eyes, sitting down at the table with Jake. I also pull out a chair.

"So, you boys ready for your big day today?" Beck asks, opening his bottle and taking a swig. I tap my fingers on the kitchen table nervously. I don't know what to expect today at training, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Jake and I look at each other, obviously thinking the same thing. We're both scared.

"I guess if we weren't ready we wouldn't be going now would we" I say, standing up and walking over to the freezer. I grab one of those bagelful type things and put it in the microwave.

"I heard you saw Nathan last night. Does he know your doing this today?" Beck asks. I turn around and look him in the eye, anger fuming through my veins.

"He obviously does because he mentioned it to me that you told him. Like you want me gone or something" I say. Beck looks hurt for a moment, but wipes it off of his face as he takes another swig of his beer.

"Chris, I'm proud of you alright? I didn't know you were seeing Nathan last night so I said something to him. I'm sorry" He says, an apologetic tone ringing in my ears. I nod and take my bagel out of the microwave. I pat Jake on the shoulder.

"We should go" I say. Jake stands, walks over to the sink and rinses out his coffee cup, and thanks Beck for it as we walk out of the house.

Neither of us say anything until we get to the end of my street.

"Are you scared?" He asks. I look him in the eyes and honestly nod. He nods too, and says "I am too. I've never really thought about doing this until my uncle Max said something about it. He told me I should, because it builds character and turns you into the man you should be. I think it's bullshit personally, but I'll give anything a try."

"Even if it's possibly going to get you killed?" I ask. He doesn't say anything, his knuckles tightening around the steering wheel of his truck.

We make small conversational talk for the rest of the drive, he doesn't want to talk about this, he just wants to do it. Which is fine with me, I guess. When he wants to talk about it I'll let him vent to me.

We pull up in the parking lot of the training center, and my jaw drops to the floor.

The building is huge, there's an extremely tall chain fence standing on the outsides of the thousands of acres they must have here. They're almost like prison fences, tall, chain link, barb wire on the top. Another reason the army makes me feel apprehensive. Once your in, you can't leave until it's over.

Jake and I get out of his truck and take a look around as we slowly walk up to the doors.

At the front desk, we're greeted by a ginger haired woman, probably in her mid twenties. She smiles at us both, looking like she enjoys what she does. She stands up and shakes our hands.