Chapter Fourteen;

CHRIS'S POV

If there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that when you hope that something doesn't happen, it usually does. If you hope that all of the spots for something are filled, they aren't, and you end up signing up for something that will change your life forever.

Jake hands me the pen and gives me a reassuring smile. I bend down and look at the contract. It clearly states the basic rules. One of them being desertion is illegal and you will go to prison for it. I can't believe I'm doing this, but I sign my name on the piece of paper.

I take a deep breath and finish writing "Christopher Michael Pierce" on the bottom of the paper. I close my eyes and put the pen down. I did it , I'm going to be in the army with Jake. We're going to be fighting for our lives and our country in no time.

*********************************************************************************************************

PEYTON'S POV

I get out of class a little early today, we didn't do much considering we had an exam. They asked us if we wanted to stay but mostly everyone left. I stayed and asked my teacher what most of my options were after I graduate.

"There's many things you could do after you graduate, Miss. Moore." Mr. Carter smiles and sits down on the edge of his desk. "You could work for a local medical hospital, a big hospital in the city, working with sick kids, anything you want basically. " He says.

"Yea, that's why I need help deciding what I want. I can't make this decision alone, I need help . That's why I came to you. I figured you'd be able to help me. I don't know where I want to be. " I tell him. He nods his head, understanding what I'm going through. Mr.Carter strokes his facial hair, and he smiles.

"You know, I know exactly what you're going through. When I graduated from medical school I didn't know if I wanted to be a Doctor and work in a local hospital, I didn't know if I wanted to be a teacher and educate students in this world of medicine. I guess you know which one I decided to choose." Mr.Carter smiles, as do I.

"So how did you make your decision?" I ask.

"I thought about how I wanted to be close to my family, and how I wanted to stay in my home town. I wanted to learn about this kind of stuff so that I could educate and better students like you in their future. I guess I have succeeded, because you're my top student" He says with a smile. I blush and pick my bag up off of the ground.

"Well, I guess I'll think about it a little harder and weigh out my options. Thanks, Mr.Carter" I head for the door, when he stops me.

"There's also something I don't think a lot of people would want to do, but it's a suggestion. " He starts. I turn back and look at him with curious eyes. "You could be an army doctor" He says.

I smile and nod my head.

"You're right, that's the whole reason I wanted to start learning to be a Doctor. I wanted to help people, and that's the perfect place to do that. Thanks Mr. Carter!!" I say, giving him a surprise hug and running out the door.

I run quickly to my room, keeping my head up and my jog steady. I can't believe I finally know what I want to do with my life after I graduate medical school. Though, becoming an army doctor might cause problems for me. I'm only 17, I don't know if they'd let me in or even consider me. I guess we'll just have to find out.

Aaron is waiting at my door with his hands in his pockets, waiting for our movie date with Chris. I hope Aaron is going to like him, because if he doesn't I know he'll take on the roll of being an ass of a big brother or father. I don't want him to do that, he doesn't need to. Not with Chris.