24. Gold and Silver

_______________

_______________

Eyelashes fluttered on pale, porcelain cheeks as the light dawned upon the sleeping face of Hana Uchiha. In one motion, her eyelids opened before she heaved a big sigh.

She moved quickly, making her bed and trudging to the bathroom to wash up. The first splash of cool water on her face brought her back to reality. Scrubbing her face clean, she patted it dry with a towel before looking into the mirror.

Arched eyebrows defined her delicately shaped face as well as high cheekbones giving it a charismatic flair. Her liquid black eyes peered into her reflection with little more than boredom. She had been pursued, more than once, by young men who thought of her as a beautiful trophy that they could place somewhere on a shelf. Hana folded her towel neatly and placed it on the rack.

As if they could mold her into some obedient wife.

Hana shifted her gaze to her ANBU uniform. She had been briefed on the mission yesterday.

Accompany the Hokage to Kumogakure while he makes a peace treaty with the Second Raikage.

Hana looked around the house, feeling the pit of her stomach grow heavy whenever she did so. She would sometimes imagine herself as a little girl again, scurrying around and breaking fancy vases with weapons that she stole from her uncle's room. Her uncle would then crouch down to her eye-level and give her a brief reprimand before Hana would beg him to teach her how to use the weapon properly. Sometimes, he balked upon teaching her until she would pull out her large, tear-filled eyes and he would agree.

A faint smile tugged at her lips at that fond memory before disappearing just as quickly when the reality dawned upon her once more.

Kagami had been right to an extent. The pain never lessened, but the memories of her uncle often waned. Still, Hana would wake up with tears staining her pillowcase and then feel the loneliness drown her in its depths. Hana dressed in her uniform silently, clipping her weapons pouch to her side. Her hands reverentially slid across the dias, where her father's swords lay. She attached them to her sides as well, feeling the comforting weight of the weapons reassure her.

Hana grabbed her cat mask, sliding it across her face before she pushed open the window and leapt into the air. The rush of adrenaline and the exhilaration of the wind whipping against her cheeks settled the heaviness of her heart as she leapt across the rooftops. When she arrived at the Hokage Tower, however, the expression melted off her face, replaced with the emotionless facade of a trained killer. Hana knocked upon the office door.

"Enter."

The door swung open as Hana gazed into the red eyes and white hair of Tobirama Senju. Hana closed the door behind her, keeping her face completely neutral. "Nidaime-sama," Hana said, "I have been informed that all necessary preparations for our trip have been completed."