22. Tears

__________________

__________________

She didn't know where she was going. Her steps were heavy, her eyes unseeing.

She looked to the tree where she used to climb and play.

Madara held his hands up, hovering around his little niece. "Hana, don't go too far up!" He warned.

"I'm fine, uncle!" Hana used chakra to stick her feet to the tree.

"You're going to fall!"

"No, I won't!"

Hana looked away from the tree.

"I'm falling now, uncle," she murmured, clutching the center of her chest that ached, "and you won't be there to catch me anymore."

She walked until she knocked on the door in front of her. It opened, Kagami's eyes falling on the soaked form of his little cousin.

"Hana—" He said in alarm as she collapsed into his arms. He picked her up before closing the door, seating her on the chair. Hana shuddered, grasping his shirt as she jolted. "Shh, it's okay, I got you Hana," Kagami murmured, holding her close to his chest.

"Kagami-nii," Hana said shakingly, "ojisan....he...." her fist squeezed tightly as liquid agony poured down her cheeks.

She spilled out everything, from Madara to the murder of her father and the suicide of her mother. Kagami listened, stroking the top of her head all the while.

"Hana," Kagami murmured at the end, pulling her into an embrace.

Hana felt the burning of her eyes yet again. Kagami noticed her wince of pain, looking into her eyes.

"Shit," he cursed.

"Kagami-nii..." Hana whispered, "it hurts."

"Oh I'm sorry princess," Kagami held her close, eyes darkening, "you shouldn't have to go through this; you deserve far much better."

Hana felt her throat tighten, the barriers that held her strong all tumbling down in Kagami's warm embrace. She hiccuped, still shaking with sobs. "Kagami, I miss ojisan. I miss tousan and kaasan; I don't even remember what they looked like. I wish...I wish things weren't like this."

Kagami soothingly rubbed her back. "It'll get better, Hana, I promise. This pain will dull with time."

"What if it doesn't?"