11. Blood

Warning: Violence and overall mature themes. 

*****

    In order to be a protector, one must learn how to kill first. 

   Hana's kunai spun in the air in one deathly arc before nailing the shinobi in the chest. He sputtered before choking on his own blood and slipping to the ground. Hana didn't know who the man was, nor was she given any opportunity to care. 

  When did this mission all go so wrong?

   They had received a secret missive from Kumogakure to deliver immediately to the Hokage. Team Tobirama had divided themselves up. Tobirama, Hiruzen, and Koharu were to draw away any eyes from the team with the actual missive. It was a precautionary measure, but soon, precaution became reality. 

  Iwagakure had struck. 

  They found themselves on the run, trying to outpace the groups of shinobi that vastly outnumbered them. Homura and Hana were paired together and the actual scroll was given to the younger girl, as appearances would deceive. Homura kept a fake one that he clenched in his hand. 

 Hana grit her teeth as her tanto sailed over the head of a shinobi who was pursuing her. She spied three out of the corner of her eye. 

   One of them wove several hand seals and jerking back, Hana dodged the spikes that were aimed towards her head. Hana knew that she couldn't keep running. If she did, she could lead them directly to the village. 

   Hana somersaulted in the air before using chakra to stick her feet to the side of a tree. She inhaled sharply before she wove her hand seals. "Raiton Dan: Ibuki!" Lightning surged into her fist; creating a crackling sound as pure energy condensed into a white hot ball inside her hand. The shinobi were quick to put up an Earth barrier but it was no use. Earth was weak against lightning. At a blinding speed, Hana hurled forwards and thrust her fist into the wall. Her chakra made a screaming sound as it broke apart the wall and sent the shinobi flying backwards. 

   She made quick work of them; her small fists nailing them in their faces and breaking the bones of their bodies before her kunai slashed their arteries. Hana could taste the blood on her tongue, but she only grimaced before she scanned the woods. Where was Homura? They had agreed to steer clear of each other if the plan went south. Hana's chest constricted. 

   What if he went looking for her? 

  Hana bit her lip. She had a mission to complete, but...

   Guilt permeated her chest. Biting her thumb, Hana made the signs of the Summoning jutsu before she saw Mizuchi crouched uncomfortably. "Here, take the scroll--" Hana whispered as Mizuchi pulled it into his claw, "don't let anyone else take it unless I summon you again." 

  "Hana, what the hell--" Mizuchi hissed but she sealed their contract and he disappeared into a puff of smoke. 

   Hana shot the other way, her ears open and her eyes alert. Her feet thudded softly against the moss on the trees as she tried to concentrate upon her surroundings. 

  That's when she saw the clearing. Homura was on his knees.

   A shinobi pulled out his katana, the tip gleaming in the light. 

   Hana didn't think. 

   She just reacted. 

  Homura waited for death, then came a peculiar sensation. 

He froze as he clasped his wounded leg.

The blade was plunged through...not his own body, but...