13. Bitter

Hana opened her eyes groggily, her vision blurring. She inhaled sharply before her vision became normal again. 

She was lying on what looked like a hospital bed with the pungent smell of herbs invading her senses. 

The hospital. 

She was back home. 

Her hands gripped the covers silently as she remembered what had happened; the memories flashing into her mind like small knives. 

She sat up, jolting forwards as she squeezed her eyes shut, wanting the memories to fade. 

She felt as if she was on the verge of a panic attack when a hand touched her shoulder. "Lean back," a low voice murmured, "you need to rest." 

Hana opened her eyes to see Tobirama sitting next to her, as he eased her back into the bed sheets. An expressionless look was on his face. 

"S-sensei?" her voice came out as a croak before she tried to clear her throat, "you--" 

Tobirama looked away, as if gazing at something outside, "I was told what happened. That you took the blade for Homura." 

Hana's throat tightened, "Is the scroll safe?" she asked. 

"Yes," Tobirama said curtly, "though you have cost us quite a lot by getting captured." 

Hana hung her head silently, feeling failure hang over her. 

"In any case, rest up--" Tobirama said flatly before he stood up and walked towards the door, "we need to improve your training so that you won't wind up getting into these situations again." 

"Hai," Hana said listlessly as Tobirama opened the door. But his feet did not exit the doorway. 

"You've done a great many things, Uchiha Hana," he said tonelessly, "and it looks like you were right. You did manage to impress me after all---" 

Hana looked up with wide eyes, staring at the man. 

"Is that it?" She questioned, her eyes gleaming, "That's what you were so afraid of? Well let me tell you one thing—" her eyes shone as she jabbed her thumb to her chest, "my name is Uchiha Hana and I will become the next Hokage. I won't succumb to the Curse of Hatred if that means proving you wrong. And by Kami, I will impress you even if it takes my own death!"

Tobirama crossed his arms and looked down at the girl.

The face was Izuna's, but those eyes....

But Tobirama only looked down coldly at the girl. "I am a hard man to impress," he said.

"That's because you've never met someone like me," Hana grinned, a fire blazing in her eyes and posture, "I told you I will impress you and I never go back on my word!"

"Continue to impress me," he continued, looking straight ahead, "and don't disappoint me." 

"Hai!" Hana felt joy well up in her chest as she bowed her head. 

Another figure entered after him. 

Hana's throat tightened when she saw her uncle, Madara, looking at her with an imperceptible look in his eyes. Hana's hands tightened around the bedsheets as she looked up at him with wide eyes. He simply took a seat at the edge of her bed, his arms crossed. 

A moment of silence, then--

"What you did was impulsive," he said flatly, "stupid, reckless, and idiotic, no less." 

Hana lowered her head, feeling her throat tighten. 

"I'm sorry, uncle--" she said with her head bowed. 

"You're sorry?" he echoed, "and what exactly are you sorry for?" 

Hana felt her eyes burn. "--For getting captured and wasting such valuable resources for rescuing myself. I've disconvenienced you, my sensei, and most of all, the Hidden Leaf--" 

Hana trailed off when she saw her uncle's eyes darken. 

His next words were soft and very dangerous, "You would risk your life for the village? The village that has done nothing but strip the Uchiha of its rights and power?" 

Hana stared at him with wide eyes. He had never talked of politics to her, never in front of her like this. 

"Well?" Madara asked, his arms folded, "is this village worth your life, Uchiha Hana?" 

He had called her by her full name. Not' loving niece' or 'Hana.' 

The name sounded foreign on his lips, making her shudder for some unknown reason. 

Hana always knew of the power her uncle had held but now, the realization seeped into her bones by the sheer aura he carried. 

She was afraid. 

She was afraid to answer him. 

"Yes." 

Soft as snow, she answered and waited for the weight of that single word to hit her back in full force. 

Madara let out a slight, rueful laugh. His eyes were fixed solidly ahead. "You said you wanted to be the Hokage," he murmured, "you know you have the barest minimum of a chance. Why do you continue to persist when you know you are going to fail anyways?" 

"Why live if you're going to die anyways?" Hana answered without flinching, eyes staring straight into his, "it's the same logic." 

Madara scoffed, looking away. Those eyes darkened as he spoke, "You are so much like your father. Izuna never knew when to quit-- that's what got him killed.

He was giving her a warning

"Being the Hokage is a title that brings dangers to you and the ones you love," he looked at her straight in the eyes, "to attempt for that will create enemies not only outside of the Leaf but inside as well. You have killed many of the Iwa nin in that base-- regardless of self-defense or not-- that does not matter to them. You have created a target on your back and furthermore, you now have gained the Sharingan--" his eyes were serious, devoid of any amusement, "many desire the power of the Uchiha. Even inside the village--you can't trust anyone. Not even me--" he looked away, "still, do you want to be the Hokage?" 

Hana was silent. 

She knew the meaning behind his words. 

The times when she would play with Kagami and laugh while eating dango were drawing to a close. She would have to survive. 

She now had the Sharingan. 

She remembered those times when she complained that she was ready for it and wondered why it wasn't coming. 

She remembered the powerful urge that tumbled out of her in waves-- that urge to kill-- to see everyone around her bleed. That monster within her that had awakened. 

Hana felt cold. 

She gave a sidelong glance at the mirror that had been placed on the wall. 

Bright red color, like blood with two black tomoe in each. 

To gain the Sharingan meant only one thing: 

to lose the child inside of yourself. 

______________

Hey guys, I know I've been gone for a long time but I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter 

Don't forget to vote and comment like always and stay tuned for the next update :D