Divine Intervention

(Your point of view)

The sun rose beyond the horizon giving off beautiful rays of light that touched all things in it's path. They expanded across the small tranquil town of Valentine, illuminating a peaceful community where everyone knew everyone. This town was so small in fact that nothing worthwhile ever happened here. It was always the same old thing everyday for as long as anyone could remember. This is where I live.

Since the unexpected death of my parents, I've lived in Valentine with my aunt, Leahy. I was only 6 years of age when they passed. It's funny how your whole childhood can disappear in an instant, all it takes is one bad day. Naturally, it took a while to get use to. A death in the family is never easy, especially when it's your parents. With help from my aunt though, I managed to adapt and blend into everyday life in Valentine. Of course I still miss my parents but I know they'd want me to move on.

"Never dwell on the past," my father always said. He was a wise man beyond his years, I always followed his advice when given. I wouldn't be the man I am today without his wisdom. Perhaps that's why he was the preacher at Dover Hill, he always knew what to say.

My mom was a bit different. Overprotective to say the least. She always had to know where I was at all times. Sure it could be annoying, but it was also reassuring. Having an overprotective mom had it's perks though, let's just say I was a tad bit spoiled. She could never say no, my mom. A bigger optimist you never would see. Her laughter was like the song of angels from the Heavens above. Everyone loved her.

Yeah, I still remember my parents, vividly. Earnest and Mabel (L/n), the poster children of happiness. My everything. I do terribly miss them....

Alright, enough of that heartfelt crap. Back to the story!

So there I was, riding my bike through town doing my daily rounds. That's what I called the process of lending a helpful hand. For an allowance, I would ride through town helping anyone in anyway I could. Like restocking the shelves at the department store or walking Mrs. Harriet's dog, Barney. I was known as God's little helper around town, there was always someone that needed a little help somewhere.

You: Morning Mr. Cribbs!

Mr. Cribbs: Well good morning, son. Come to help an old man cut his lawn, have you?

You: Of course, Mr. C! Let me get right on that!

Mr. Cribbs: God bless you.

Just another normal Saturday morning, it was. On my way back home, I decided to stop at the diner to say hello to Miss Baker. From time to time I would help her out with deliveries and in return she always prepared me a meal on the house! She liked to call me her secret weapon for laughs, and would try to set me up with her daughter, Melonie, any chance she got. I didn't mind, although it was a bit awkward.

You: Hey Ms. B!

Ms. Baker: Oh (Y/n), how delightful! Didn't I tell you to refer to me as your mother in law?

I gave her a goofy grin as she laughed much to her daughter's dismay.

Melonie: Mom!

You: See ya later! Bye Melonie!

Melonie waved me bye as her face exploded in 3 different shades of red. I could feel my face heat up slightly at the sight.

Ms. Baker: Bye dearie!

Melonie: B-bye.

My watch showed 11:51 am. I looked up to see my comfy home literally a block away. Just in time for lunch break! I wonder what's on the menu?