twenty-five

As the words left my mouth, I closed my eyes. I didn't want to see how their reaction would be like. I heard silent gasps around the room, when I opened my eyes, I could feel tears forming but I cracked a forced smile.

"Surprise." I managed to say. I didn't know how I could joke about this but I had considering the tension in the room could only be cut with a burning chainsaw.

Michael started pacing around muttering something under his breath I couldn't quite figure out, Ashton's expression was in disbelief because he just stood there staring at me, Calum's were glossy as if he was about to cry but Luke just stood there, lips pursed into a thin line. It hurt.

"Tell me this is some kind of fucking joke you're playing, Elizabeth." Michael mumbled angrily. "This is not funny."

"I wish I could tell you it was." I whispered, a small tear rolling down my cheek.

"Fuck. I can't do this." Michael hissed. He ran up to one of the rooms and I heard a door slam shut.

"How?" Calum squeaked, there were tears rolling down his face.

"I don't know," I stuttered. "I got it in twenty four hours. Even the doctor didn't know how."

"This can't be happening." Luke finally spoke up. "You were fine!"

I didn't even know what to say before Ashton ran and hugged me tight. He hugged me so tight it felt as if I was about to shatter but it was what I needed. I needed the comfort of my friends because the only comfort I've had for the past two weeks were my pillows and blankets. Soon enough, I was engulfed by everyone except Michael.

"Guys," I stiffled a laugh. "I'm fine. You're fine. We're all fine. I'm sorry."

I knew telling them would only result to one thing -- being treated differently.

"But the thing is," Luke sniffled before continuing. "You're not fine! You have a brain tumor for gods sake! How could we be fine?"

"Wow, thanks for stating the obvious, Luke." I scoffed. "I have a tumor in my brain yes -- the doctor said he's never got a patient diagnosed in just twenty four hours lacking half of the symptoms -- but he said it's curable."

"We're sorry Elizabeth," Calum began, embracing me in his arms again. "So fucking sorry."

"It's fine, Cal." I assured him, resting my head into the corner of his neck.

"Why didn't you just tell us?" Luke asked, his voice cracking at the end.

"It's not that I didn't want to," I stated. "I just didn't want you guys to worry -- which resulted to this but I was scared you guys would worry too much and started paying attention to me and I didn't want that. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I added more worries to your lives."

Luke immediately wrapped his arms around me, burying his face into my neck. "I'm so fucking sorry."

"Don't apologize," I said, stroking his back. "There's nothing to apologize for."

"We love you Elizabeth. We'll be here for you, forever. Doesn't matter when, where, how, we're here for you always. You won't get rid of us even if you tried." Ashton chimed in with a small smile.