two

"Elizabeth Marie Tyler!" The sound of my mom startled me, causing me to shoot up immediately and bumped my head on the headboard. I groaned trying to get up only to fall onto the ground stomach-side down.

"Elizabeth, it's the first day back to school. Be excited! Wear something attractive or not, who cares? It's another year of education!" she said, with excitement. After seventeen years of living, I've never understood why my mom was more excited for events that were happening to me instead of hers.

"But mom," I whined causing her to roll her eyes and place her hand on her hips. "It's just school, there's no one to impress and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to stop having education."

"You're going to meet so many attractive young men, Lizzy. I can picture it, walking into the hallways and all the men stare at you." She said, staring towards the window. She had a habit of imagining her high school life but little did she know I would look nothing but like The Grinch on Christmas Day and that was a fact.

"I'm sorry to break it to you my dearest mother but that doesn't happen. It only happens in Mean Girls or something, I wish it did but sadly it doesn't." I laughed, crushing my mom's high school dreams.

"Stop being such a buzzkill, Marie." I cringed at the sound of my middle name, I never told anyone my middle name as it made absolutely no sense why they would call me that in the first place.

"I'm going to get ready now so this is your cue to leave."

"Are you sure you don't need my help?" she pouted, her hands together.

"Mother," I rolled my eyes. "I am seventeen I think I can handle putting on some clothes. Thanks though, I love you!"

"God you make me feel old," she groaned kissing the top of my forehead. "See you downstairs and don't be late." She walked out of my room and shut the door, I could her faint humming through my door - scratch that, it wasn't faint at all - she was basically belting her singing.

After what felt like hours digging through the abyss of my closet, I ended up wearing a floral skater dress paired with a light denim jacket over it and sandals. It was just school.

+

After applying my make up and getting all my school books and stuff together, I was set. I ran down the stairs only to trip over the last two steps and banged my face against the wall. "Holy fuck."

"Language, miss!" I heard my mom call from the kitchen, I groaned and walked into the kitchen, rubbing my nose hoping it doesn't bruise. She looked up from her phone and smiled. "You look stunning hun, are you ready to scout for some men?"

I choked on my own spit at the thought of her saying 'Men.' If anything they were boys, that made me thought of the four boys who I scared shitless yesterday and that made me shudder. "If anything they're boys, mom. And I think I'm not looking for anyone this year considering the ones I've met are utter dicks."

"You met someone? And you didn't tell me?" Mom's eyes grew wide and there was a smug grin plastered on her face.

"It's nobody important, he was awful and I regret even running into him." I scoffed, shoving an apple into my bag.

"Full details later Elizabeth." she winked, before nodding towards the door. "Now go away, don't be late. Love you lots."

I hugged her quickly before leaving the house, the thought of that rude blonde crossing into my mind.