The Black Forest

The Black Forest, called Taughannock by the Native Americans, covers the western portion of Mount Greylock, and the surrounding mountains, the Taconics, a range of the Appalachian system, along the eastern border of New York with three states: Con...

The Black Forest, called Taughannock by the Native Americans, covers the western portion of Mount Greylock, and the surrounding mountains, the Taconics, a range of the Appalachian system, along the eastern border of New York with three states: Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont. Currently, residents and the prominent 19th-century No-Maj geologist, T. Nelson Dale, consider Mount Greylock Massif as a subsidiary of the central Taconic Range to the west. Ilvermorny Castle is bordered by the ominous forest known as "An Fhoraois Dhubh", or "The Black Forest", as named by Isolt. The forest is said to be dangerous and haunted due to an ancient Dark curse believed to have been cast by Gormlaith Gaunt during her attack on the castle in 1634, which ended in failure and resulted in her death. The curse is also said to be responsible for the paranormal activity that haunts the mountain to this day. As a result, students from Ilvermorny are strictly forbidden from entering the forest, even for detention. Any student caught attempting to enter may face expulsion. Despite the legends, there are reports of a Sasquatch troop living in the forest, along with Acromantula, Thunderbirds, snallygasters, Wendigos, centaurs, hippogriffs (imported from Europe), hidebehinds, Wampus cats, dryads (from Greece), Horned Serpents, bears, wolves, and werewolves. Amphitheres, a type of dragon, are also known to reside in the forest. However, the forest is off-limits to No-Maj hikers.