Chapter 16

Hi guys, I'm so sorry that it took me so long to update, I've just been pretty busy lately and writers block doesn't help any. I really wanted to give you guys another chapter though so I've been struggling to write this out. I actually had to re-write it because my internet was being funky and wouldn't save my work. So anyways, hope you like the chapter.

----------------------------------------------

Chapter 16

The air was thick with tension as we stared at each other, his cold and icy blue eyes pierced through my soul. He didn't blink, he didn't move, he just stood there against his truck with his arms crossed and his lips painted into a smirk. I switched from one foot to the other and bit my lip, it was strange to be standing here in front of him again. Words tried to form in my mouth but the sentences refused to pass my lips. Neither of us spoke, I could tell that he was waiting for me to say something, anything...but I couldn't, I don't know why, but I couldn't form a single word.

He sighed and pushed himself off the car, picking up a briefcase and walking in my direction, breaking the tension.

I could hear Seth getting up off the ground and trying to let out the last of his sniffles.

Seth snatched the brief case out of his hands and walked back to his car, not even bothering to look inside. But that didn't stop him from glaring at me the whole time, even when his eyes left me I could still feel his glare beneath my skin.

The car door slammed and I jumped slightly, still shook up and confused.

I stared at Seth's car as it disappeared around the corner and the gentle sound of his engine was completely out of my rang of hearing. Only the sound of crows cawing up on building tops and cars zooming by in the distance could be heard.

"Are you going to stare into space all day or get in the fucking truck?" Kale had a hint of humor in his voice, talking to me as if we were friends.

I glared at him as he sat in his seat, his head and left arm sticking out the window as he stared at me. I hadn't even realized he had gotten back in the truck, were the car doors silent or was I really so deep in thought that I couldn't even hear it?

I looked around for an escape, some way I could get out of this hell hole once and for all.

"Quit looking around and get in the truck Avery, I have an appointment to get too".

Everything seemed to slow down in that moment as my thoughts intertwined with each other. To trust him, or not to trust him.

But as soon as I saw him bend down in his seat to pick something up, I ran. I ran at full speed, adrenalin pumping through my veins. I knew I had to run, I had to get out of here.

The sound of his truck roaring to life caused my heart to pump even faster, I could feel the sweat in my body turn cold, he was chasing after me.

"Avery!!!" Kales voice was laced with concern and care. I didn't understand, why was his voice like that, he was the enemy.

With the shake of my head, I ignored my thoughts and continued running. I wasn't going to let myself stop at his command, I'm not a dog, I'm a human. I have my own thoughts, my own wants and needs, I don't need to take orders from somebody. I'm sick and tired of being treated like this, I'm not a slave... I refuse to be made a slave.

My lungs were struggling to take in oxygen, my whole body was shaking. But that didn't stop me, I didn't let that be the cause for my recapture. I wasn't going to stop...right?

"Avery!!! Stop running and get in the truck!"

Even though he was yelling, his voice didn't scare me, I felt like I could trust him...but I knew somewhere in my head that I couldn't, I can't trust anybody anymore.

The sound of his tires screeching around corners had stopped and I began to slow down, thinking that I had lost him. That is, until I heard footsteps in the distance. He was chasing me.

Going against my bodies will, i continued to run, knowing it was the only way I might escape.

The buildings surrounding us were tall and gloomy, casting a dark shadow down every ally way, creating the illusion of night.

The air was musky and contained the smell of rotten garbage. My nose scrunched up in disgust as the foul air snaked up my nostrils. But I used this to my advantage, I used the smells as a cover up for the pain in my lungs, the constricting feeling of my lack of breath. I felt that I could keep running if I could continue to pry my attention away from it and onto something else, anything else. The sound of running feet were still echoing down the streets, I had no option but to keep running.

"Avery! Avery stop! It's dangerous out here! Stop!"

Clenching my jaw, I shook away his voice and ignored his wishes. Dangerous, sure, but not as dangerous as the hell I've been through. I have no intention of going back, letting people tie strings around my wrists and play with me like a puppet. Im not a puppet, I'm not a toy, I'm a human being and I deserve to be treated like one. I need to get back home and let my uncle know I'm ok. I need to make it back to the only person I have left, the only person I know I can count on to protect me... And he probably thinks I'm dead, just like my mom. I'm sure the cops have given up looking for me by now, it's been months. I've probably been here more then a year. I don't get the pleasure of knowing what month it is, what day of the week it is or even what time it is. It's weird how something like this can make you miss even the smallest things.

There was one question racking around in my head that really bothered me though. where was everybody? There were building and streets all over, it seemed like a place that would contain hundreds of people...so where was everyone?

CRACK

My breath hitched inside my throat and I bit my lip, falling down onto my knees in pain. Large sparks of overwhelming pain coursed through my feet, up my legs and into my chest and teeth.

With shaky breaths, I looked back to see blood flooding from my feet and shards of glass sticking out of them.

I could hear Kale's footsteps again and I knew if I didn't keep moving, that he would catch me within seconds. But my body wouldn't move, it wouldn't get up. my muscles refused to obey me.

I tried to stand up, my shaky hands pushing against the pavement, begging my body to get back on its legs and run. But as soon as I stood up, the glass pushed deeper into my flesh and sent me falling back down with a wail of pure agony.

The tears refused to stop flowing down my face as I bit my lip, trying to contain the cries. The taste of blood and tears was far too familiar.

When I looked up I saw Kale staring at me with wide eyes that looked...watery... I didn't understand why he looked so upset, he should be smiling like all the rest of those sadistic freaks who try to put their slimy hands on me... But he didn't.

---------------------------------------------
Hope you guys liked the chapter ^___^