Chapter 20

Aidens' POV

I groaned.

The pain was too much and my eyes were stinging with fresh tears.

"Crap." I breathed out.

"Son, how are you feeling?" I heard my dad's voice ask me.

"Crap." I winced as I tried to move my body. I opened my eyes.

"I'll kill the person that did this to you. They're working on the case."

"Lindsay. Where is she?"

"She's fine."

"Put my school under lockdown. Please. I know he's the same person that shot my arm. Tell Lindsay to be careful. Please." I closed my eyes again, the pain making me cry out.

****

My name and Lindsay's were mentioned on the news. Schools were still open, for some stupid reason, but were on the lookout for Luke.

"How are you?" I spoke on the phone with Lindsay.

"Devasted. I want to see you so badly. How's your leg?" I heard her worried voice through the speaker.

"Better. You've got to stop hurting me Linds!" I joked.

My leg was getting better and I was put on crutches. I couldn't see Lindsay due to the dangers of being around her, according to my parents. It has been official that the whole world knew who shot me and has the town biting their nails. Everyone knows it was Lindsay's dad. 

Rumour has it that Lindsay wasn't taking this easy. Everyone hated her and her mom. But it wasn't her fault, neither was her mom's. 

I spent my days at an hotel with my family. Seperate room and all.

Until one night, as I rested on the hotel bed and wrote notes on possible ways that Luke could hurt others, I heard someone knocking on my door.

Grabbing my crutches, I stood up and headed towards the door and peeked through the peep hole.

It was Lindsay.

"Linds!" I exclaimed as I opened the door.

She hugged me tightly and cried.

"Come in, come in." I told her.

"I missed you." She sat on my bed, I gulped and took a seat next to her.

"Me too." I smiled.

"I can't do this... everyone is critizing me. I can't walk around this stupid town. They call me a monster." She was near tears and I cupped her face.

"Shh..." I looked directly at her beautiful features.

"Aiden... he wants to kill us. Not me anymore, you too. Anyone that gets in his way."

"Shh..." I began to close in the space between us.

"I hurt you. It's my fault. And I'm sorry. I just can't go through this anymore."

I approached her lips but instead, I kissed her softly a little below the cheek.

"I'll be by your side the whole time." I whispered.