True Friends Join Cults Together

"Mister Baggins," I said waving my hands in front of his face. He came to awhile ago, and since then he'd been sitting in his chair and held a cup of undrunk tea.

"I'll be aright. Just let me sit quietly for a moment." He assured.

Gandalf was pacing in front of him. "You've been sitting quietly for far to long. Tell me, when did doilies and your mother's dishes become so important to you? I remember a young hobbit who was always running off in search of elves in the woods. Who would stay out late, come home after dark trailing mud and twigs and fireflies."

He based that off of what all young children are like though.

"A young hobbit who would have liked nothing better than to find out wat was beyond the borders of the Shire. The word is not in your books and maps. It's out there." He pointing out the window.

"I can't just go running off into the blue. I am a Baggins of Bag-end." Baggins said frustrated.

I tried never to get tied down to anything .

"You are also a Took." Gandalf said.

The hobbit with identity crisis rolled his eyes and sighed, but Gandalf continued. 

"Did you know that your great-great-great-great uncle, Bullroarer Took was so large he could ride a real horse? Yes, well he could! In the battle of Green Fields, he charged the Goblin ranks. He swung his club so hard, it knocked the Goblin king's head clean off, and it sailed a hundred yards through the air and went down a rabbit hole. And thus the battle was won. And the game of golf invented at the same time."

I had never heard that story before, but I had  been busy living in solitude and not getting involved for a very long time, so wars were an easy news report to miss.

"I do believe you just made that up." Mister Baggins said.

"Well, all good stories deserve embellishment." Gandalf said, sitting across from him. You'll have a tale, or two of your own when you get back."

Baggins paused for a moment. "Can you promise that I will come back?"

Gandalf glanced at me, but I looked down at me feet.

Then he looked the hobbit in the eye. "No. And if you do, you'll not be the same." He said seriously.

"That's what I thought. Sorry Gandalf. I can't sign this." Baggins said getting up. "You've got the wrong hobbit." He turned and walked away.

I followed him into the hallway to try changing his mind. "Mister Baggins," I said stopping him. He turned towards me. I crouched down, and put my hands on his shoulders. "There is something my father always said to me. 'Life is to short to waste the opportunities that you have the chance to take. Please, t̶h̶e̶̶y we need you."

He blinked, but turned and walked away. "I am  sorry. I can't."

I sighed and watched him go. He was proving everyone right, which is something I strongly ventured to go against.

"It appears, we have lost our burglar. Probably for the best." I heard white-beard say. I stood in the hallway to hear him talking to Thorin. "The odds were always against us. After all, what are we? Merchants, miners, tinkerers, toy-makers. Hardly the stuff of legend." He said sadly.

"There are a few warriors among us." Thorin said hopefully.

"Old warriors." White-beard replied.

Thorin looked at him seriously. "I would take each and every one of these dwarves over an army from the Iron Hills."