49

chapter 49 - everything unravels

"i love you, i love you, i love you,

i'll keep telling you that until you finally realize,"

k e n z i e

I opened my eyes blearily. My vision swarm as dots jumped around. Where was I? The last thing I remembered before passing out was chasing after Johnny. Johnny. I opened my eyes wide and sat up straight, wincing as my head pounded, making everything in front of me spin crazily. Ouch. My head hurts.

Wait. I was in my room. How in the heavens had I gotten here? I tried to recall, but it just caused a streak of pain to bolt through my head.

Something to my right shifted, before a voice rang out lazily.

"You shouldn't move much, the doctor said your head would hurt," that drawl was so, so familiar. My heart galloped quicker.

Spinning around, I caught side of a significantly bright golden head pressed into my duvet, just as a hand reached up to squeeze me back into my bed.

"Sleep," Johnny's voice was so close to my ear that I shuddered uncontrollably. All the sleep that I had been craving for just now was lost.

I pulled away the duvet that he was burying his head in hesitantly. Maybe I was dreaming. He can't be here.

Johnny's sleepy face greeted me, and I nearly dropped the blanket over his head again. He was so near to me. He was on the bed with me. My face flushed red furiously. Shut up, what was I thinking about?

I could see his light freckles dotting his nose, and a stray piece of golden hair fell over his eyebrows. And his lips, they were curved up slightly. Tracing a finger around his face lightly, I giggled as he wriggled his eyebrows. Cute.

He was here. And he wasn't mad at me anymore. My heart did a happy dance all the way from my chest, to my legs, then up again. Despite the happiness that had overwhelmed me, I couldn't help but face a million doubts in my head.

Maybe Johnny was only here because he couldn't leave a person who had fainted on the road. Maybe he was still angry but chose to sleep now because he was too tired. Maybe he wasn't even here, and I was actually hallucinating. Coupled with all the thoughts that were racing through my mind, I could feel all the emotions that I had bottled up for the past few days rise up my throat, threatening to break free.

One moment, I was staring at Johnny's peaceful face happily, and the next I had already burst into tears.

"Hey, why are you crying? Shhh, don't cry," Johnny swept me into his chest, muffling my sobs with his hoodie. He smelt good. I missed his lemony smell. I tried to stop my tears, but they came out in heavier torrents. I probably destroyed his hoodie.

Sniffling, I broke free from his embrace.

"You are real, right?" I asked, looking down. I could feel Johnny's amusement radiate off him as he chuckled lightly. He was happy, that's good.

"Of course I'm real, silly," he ruffled my hair lightly.

"Sillier," On impulse, I retorted immediately, before blushing.

"You are the silliest. How can you pass out on me? You don't even know how to take care of yourself," Johnny chided, but I smiled at the concern hidden behind his disapproval. He should get a career in being a dad.

"That was because you ran," I muttered under my breath, gasping as Johnny's fingers reached underneath my chin to lift it up.

"I'm sorry, but don't ever scare me like that again, okay?" His eyes were still those startlingly emerald green. Dazzling. I could feel myself melt under their stern gaze. Nodding meekly, I buried my head in his shirt again.

For awhile, he hugged me as I pondered about everything that had happened the past few days. Thank god he was here with me now. Clutching his hoodie tighter, I sniffed back my tears.

"Hey, I know what has happened already. I saw it from the message that Nadia had sent you," Johnny said quietly as he knocked his chin on my head. I gave a start, my body jerking uncontrollably. He knew. I could feel the dam holding back my tears starting to break once again.

"I was going to tell you that," I murmured, as he brushed his hands through my hair slowly. Comforting. I snuggled in deeper.

"Did she threaten to ask her father to disqualify me if you didn't break up with me?" Johnny asked silently, while my heart beat erratically.

I nodded slowly. What was Johnny going to say?

"You stupid, stupid girl. You should have told me," Johnny sighed, blowing across my head lightly.

"I didn't know what to do, I was scared Nadia would really disqualify you if I told you. It was important to you, both of us knew that," I replied seriously. If I had to sacrifice for Johnny again, I would be willing to do it.

For a moment, Johnny did not say anything, until he pulled me away from him and looked me in the eye.

"You know, Kenzie? You are really the most selfless girl I have ever met. You are so kind, and beautiful, you shed light on my life. And I really want to kiss you now," Johnny smiled, a faint pink tinge dusting his cheeks.

He gave me a light peck on the lips, which sent a tingle all the way down to my toes.

"You didn't...mean anything that you said that time, did you?" Johnny asked nervously.

"No, of course not. None of it. I was just scared that you would refuse to break up with me if my reason wasn't strong enough, then Nadia would have disqualified you," I muttered. Now that I thought of it, that was exceedingly dumb of me.

Johnny gave a huge sigh of relief, which rumbled all the way across his body to mine, making me laugh.

"Nadia can't do anything now, so before I forget, never ever do this to both of us no matter what," Johnny stretched out his pinky. Such a childish boy. I smiled as I put mine over his.

"Ah, I'm so happy, everything is back to normal again," Johnny stretched his hands above his head, grinning down at me. I had missed his grin.

Suddenly, a yawn attacked me. I didn't manage to cover it up in time, and Johnny, unfortunately, caught it.

"Now, sleep. You need it," He commanded, tucking my duvet around me.

"Don't leave," I grabbed his arm. "Stay with me, please?"

"I'm afraid Aunt Melissa would strongly disapprove if I stay any longer," Johnny joked, but made no move to get up as he lay down beside me.

"It's okay, I approve," I yawned again, snuggling into him.

"Sleep well, Kenzie," I heard Johnny whisper softly, followed by a kiss brushing across my forehead, as my dreams took hold of me.

(1178)

[do not be a ghost reader! vote, comment and share!]