26

chapter 26 - what?

"i didn't know why,

but my heart leapt at that thought,"

[edited - 23.12.18]

j o h n n y

"Thanks, Mrs Roberts!" I called out to my math teacher as I exited the classroom, slinging my bag over my shoulder. She had just been discussing my university plans with me. Little did she know. I scrunched up my brows as I sighed. I did not need to trouble her with that.

I know people like to say that I'm the bad boy and stuff like that, but one thing I truly pride myself in is my academics. I'm one of the top scorers in my college, always on the honour roll, and I'm very proud of that. I guess I should thank my mom, who has been there for me through thick and thin, encouraging me and setting strict rules.

As I was walking along the hallway to the cafeteria where I was late for lunch, suddenly, some jocks on the soccer team stopped me.

"Hey, Johnny bro," Jacob, one of my friends greeted me and I nodded back, slapping him on the back the same way he did.

"Congratulations, I like your girlfriend, she's a good catch, that one, really hot and intelligent," Jacob continued, smiling at me, "Don't get offended if I say she's hot, kay?"

"Oh, are you talking about Nadia? We broke up already. Though I wouldn't say she's smart," I answered, a little confused. I thought the whole school knew that I had broken up with Nadia?

"Obviously not that slut, she's not even half as hot as your girl, it really makes us jealous," Jacob chuckled at his own joke.

"What? I'm currently single if you didn't know," I laughed awkwardly, still bemused. What in the world is going on?

"Haha, so funny, Johnny. Don't joke, your girlfriend will not be pleased if she finds ten girls throwing themselves at you all because you said you were single," he lowered his voice to a whisper as several girls past by us, giggling their heads off.

"No, I don't get it, can one of you please explain to me what's going on with my girlfriend?" I said impatiently, getting agitated, raising my hands to put air quotation marks over 'my girlfriend'.

I was momentarily distracted when a particular brown haired, feisty girl stumbled out of the cafeteria, her head buried into her hands as Lauren comforted her. I frowned. She has been invading my mind quite a lot these days.

I waved as she looked up, tuning out the rest of Jacob's sentence. I could only watch, utterly bewildered, as Kenzie stared at me in horror, before muttering 'oh crap' and running away from me at top speed.

"What was that? Why was she running away from me?" I muttered to myself as I watched her disappearing silhouette.

"Why's she running away from you, bro? Such a friendly girlfriend you have," Jacob waved his hand in front of my face, snapping me out of my trance.

"Girlfriend? Are you talking about Mackenzie? We aren't-" I was barely halfway through my sentence when I was interrupted.

"That's her. What's it with you? Please don't tell me you had a memory loss and forgot that Mackenzie Ziegler is your girlfriend," Jacob coughed as his words started to sink in.

What?

(558)

[do not be a ghost reader! vote, comment and share!]